(WTNH) - Neil Fuentes is in the kitchen cooking up a Thanksgiving feast.
A very easy and different way to roast your turkey! Use al kind of citrus fruits and make a very aromatic turkey that will perfume your entire home!
1 lb of butter
The zest and the juice of:
1 cup of chopped cilantro
1/4 cup of fresh sage
1 head of garlic pealed and lightly chopped
1/4 cup of adobo
1 tbsp of Liquid smoke
Salt and pepper
3 tbp of Honey
4 mandarine oranges cut in half
- Place the butter in a soup pan. Add all the ingredients and let it infuse at low temperature for about 20 minutes. Take the now infused butter off the heat. Once the butter has cooled down a bit, place in a blender. Blend all the ingredients very well. Place the butter in a shallow pan and place in the freezer for at least an hour. You can do this overnight as well.
- Dry the turkey very well, With gloves on and with your fingers, carefully start to separate the skin off the turkey without taking it off or ripping it. With a small knife make small incisions on the flesh all over the turkey. Take the frozen butter out of the freezer, with an ice cream scooper, scoop some butter and start placing them in between the flesh and the skin. Make sure you hit every spot.
- Place the mandarine oranges inside the cavity of the turkey. Cover the turkey with foil.
- Most recipes for whole roasted turkeys will call for an oven temperature between 325° and 375°F. The large size of a whole turkey and the difference in breast and leg meat present a unique challenge to get everything to cook perfectly at once (even more so when the turkey is stuffed!). Using these moderate temperatures will ensure the most even cooking throughout the bird.
Follow these charts, cook the turkey at 325 degrees:
- 8-12 pounds 2 to 3.5 hours
- 12-16 pounds 3 to 4 hours
- 16-20 pounds 4 to 5 hours
- 20-25 pounds 5 to 6 hours
- 25-30 pounds 6+ hours
Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized onions, sweet plantains and bacon.
for 4 people
3 medium size sweet potatoes.
1/2 lb of bacon
1 large onion
2 plantains (Ripe)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup of cream
Place olive oil in a frying pan to a medium low. Peel and dice the plantain and fry until golden. Take the plantains out to rest. In a second frying pan, dice the bacon and put it to fry until crispy. Take out of the pan and preserve the fat. Peel and slice the onion and put them to fry in the bacon fat at a medium low heat until soft and caramelized. Peel and dice sweet potatoes and put them to boil. Once the potatoes are soft, mash together with the bacon, the onions, butter, brown sugar, cream and cheese. Finally fold the plantains in. Place the mixture into a baking sheet.
Mushroom apple stuffed oven roasted apples
3 cloves of garlic, pealed and minced
1 small onion, sliced
6 medium apples
1 cup of turkey drippings
1/2 cup of wine
1 stick of melted butter
4 cups of seasoned store-bought stuffing
1/4 cup of cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil
Cut the bottom part of the apple to make it stable so it can stand up on the plate, Also cut the top part, abou 1/2 inch to create a lid. With the help of a small knife and a spoon, remove the core and some of the inside of the apple creating a cup. Save what you took out and dice it.
In a soup pan add the butter and melt. Add the garlic, onions and apples. Let the cook for about 20 minutes at medium hugh heat. Add the turkey drippings and the wine, salt and pepper and cilantro and let it cook at medium low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the cilantro and the stuffing and mix well.
Stuff the apples with this stuffing and roast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Mashed potatoes and garlic spinach pancakes.
Make mash potatoes as you normally would
Make garlic spinach by adding a 1/3 of cup of olive oil to a large frying pan. One the oil is hot add 3 cloves of minced garlic, a medium bag of baby spinach and salt and pepper to taste. Once all the spinach is completely wilted, mix with the mash potatoes and let it cool down in the refrigerator overnight of possible.
Oil a non-stick sauté pan that you would normally use for pancakes. Add one egg and about 3 tbsp of all purpose flour to the mixture and mix well, Make patties with your hands on the thin side. Cook at medium heat until brown in both sides.
Neil Fuentes is now with a new local salsa band in New haven, Sonido Libre. Check them out at www.sonidolibremusic.com.
A holiday light display is putting a couple from Orange in the national spotlight.
Last week News 8 brought you a story about a woman who was kicked out of a courtroom for breastfeeding. Many of you called our hotline to weigh in on this topic. Here's today's Voice of the People.
One person was killed after a two-vehicle crash involving a school bus, that happened in Stonington Monday morning.
As the one year anniversary of the tragedy at Sandy Hook approaches, family members of the victims have sent a message to the state and nation.
New Haven police have a person of interest in custody who may have called in that phony threat to Yale University last month.
STORRS, Conn. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to investigate civil rights complaints against the University of Connecticut.
Route 1 in Guilford is closed in both directions due to a structure fire.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's attorney general has withdrawn an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court challenging a ruling that former Gov. John Rowland's administration violated state employees' constitutional rights when it laid off 2,800 workers in 2003.
Several Ansonia High School students were taken to the hospital after their school bus was rear-ended by a van.
A silver alert has been issued for an endangered runaway from Farmington.