From Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough’s HAM: ANOBSESSION WITH THE HINDQUARTER (Stewart, Tabori, & Chang,2010).
Here’s a meal in a bite. Bruce brought a tray to hisknitting class in West Hartford. He said the women “fell uponthem.”
Makes 12 deviled egg halves
6 large eggs
4 ounces (1/4 pound) smoked, wet-cured ham, such as aspiral-sliced ham (but any sugary coating removed), finely choppedinto 1/4-inch bits
1 medium scallion, minced
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (regular, low-fat, or fat-free)
2 tablespoons minced celery (about 1/2 a small rib)
2 teaspoons prepared jarred white horseradish
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon minced tarragon leaves or 1/2 teaspoon driedtarragon
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
Several dashes hot red pepper sauce, such as Tabasco sauce,to taste
1. Set the eggs in a large saucepan, cover them with coolwater until the water itself stands about 1 inch over the eggs, andbring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, then cover thepan and set off the heat for 7 minutes.
2. Carefully drain the pan over the sink, leaving the eggsinside; then run lots of cold tap water into it to bring the eggsto room temperature. Peel off the shells under a stream of coolwater.
3. Split the eggs in half lengthwise and use a little spoonto scoop the yellow yolks into a large bowl, taking care not tobreak or tear the whites. Save these back on a plate.
4. Mix the yolks with all the remaining ingredients: the ham,scallion, mayonnaise, celery, horseradish, vinegar, tarragon, drymustard, cayenne (if desired), and the hot red pepper sauce. Theback of a fork will mash the yolks fully into the mixture. Then usea small spoon to pile this mixture back into the indentations inthe halved egg whites.
5. Place on a platter, cover with plastic wrap, andrefrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours before servingso the flavors meld a bit.
A big toy drive that goes a long way towards brightening the holidays for local kids is underway in Bridgeport.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A Florida flight attendant has been acquitted in Connecticut of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old boy more than 100 times.
Reaction is pouring in from around the globe with the passing of Mandela. He's being remembered as a man who changed the world.
A man charged in the killings of three people during an alleged Bridgeport drug turf dispute in 2005 is going on trial in state court.
A pastor is accused of stealing from his own church and church members say he went on a spending spree.
The Connecticut Police Chiefs Association says Newtown police responded rapidly and followed current policy at last year's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
A 28-year-old man was arrested for a hate crime assault in New London on Thursday.
A man was arrested after police believed he was about to commit an armed robbery in a convenience store in New London.
Three juveniles were arrested in connection with the Danbury mall disturbance on Black Friday.
According to "Feeding America," around 33 million adults and 16 million children live in households that are "food insecure."