(WTNH) - Chef Sherry Swanson is in the kitchen with a seasonal dish.
3 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup shallot, finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups panko, divided
1/2 cup coarsely grated Fontina cheese
Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Spicy Tomato Jam
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large pinch red pepper flakes
28 oz can chopped tomatoes, juice reserved
salt, to taste
- Bring chicken stock to simmer in small saucepan. Reduce heat to very low; cover and keep warm. Heat olive
- oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add
- rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine; stir until absorbed, about 2 minute. Add stock, 1/3 cup at a time, and simmer
- until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more, and stirring
- often, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in 6 tablespoons Parmesan and butter. Season generously
- with salt and pepper. Spread risotto in 13x9x2-inch pan and cool completely.
- Spicy Tomato Jam
- Cover the bottom of a medium sauce pan with olive oil and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook over
- low heat until fragrant, abot 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rasie the temperature and cook until the
- tomato mixture is thick.
- Mix 1/2 cup panko, and Fontina cheese into risotto. Shape into 1 1/4-inch balls; flatten to 2-inch rounds.
- Arrange on rimmed baking sheet. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Set another rimmed baking sheet in oven. Place 1 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Dip
- risotto cakes into panko to coat. Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to coat bottom; heat oil over mediumhigh
- heat. Working in batches, sauté risotto cakes until crisp and brown, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to baking sheet in oven.
- Serve risotto cakes with a dollop of tomato jam and sprinkled with cheese and garnished with chives.
Learn more at www.aculinaryexperience.com
Lawmakers in Connecticut and New York are calling on the Federal Railroad Administration to take immediate action to try and prevent another deadly train crash like the one that happened last weekend in New York City.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.
Manchester police are investigating what lead one man to allegedly kill three women and then take his own life.
The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
A student accused of setting off a lockdown and massive police response at Central Connecticut State University by wearing a ninja-like costume on campus is set to face a judge for the first time.
Newtown police officers rescued two people from a house fire, early Sunday.
Enfield resident Harold Slater was just 20-years-old the day he witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Two men were arrested after breaking into a home then driving at officers during a pursuit in Waterbury on Saturday night.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's governor is calling for houses of worship to mark the first anniversary of the Newtown school shooting by ringing their bells 26 times — once for each of the victims killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary …
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The two youngest members of the U.S. Senate are co-sponsoring a bill aimed at lowering college costs that includes withholding federal funds from schools that don't meet affordability and quality standards.