(WTNH) -- Chef Melanie Driscoll shares her recipe for Tomato Basil Frittata.
She has worked in natural foods kitchens for 17 years.
Tomato Basil Frittata
4 T olive oil
2 medium heirloom tomatoes
10 fresh basil leaves
8 large eggs
1/4 c milk or cream
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T fresh minced herbs
2 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium yellow onion
- Preheat oven or broiler. If using broiler(preferred) use "low" setting.
- In a large oven proof non stick pan heat 2T oil over medium heat.
- Slice the onions,and add them to the pan. Add minced garlic. Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper. 10 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, prep the vegetables. Start by picking the basil leaves into a bowl of water, swish them around to remove dirt. Scoop them out and place them onto a towel to dry.
- Prep the tomatoes by cutting them into quarters then 1/8ths.
- Pat basil leaves dry. Stack 6 basil leaves on top of each other, then roll them up and give them
- a thin slice ciffinade.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl then add milk or cream. Whisk the eggs till frothy.
- Generously season eggs with fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
- By now the onions should be done. remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Coat the pan with 2 T oil.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the hot pan and cook over medium heat till eggs start to set. With a fork gently pull the newly set edges in, and the un cooked eggs will create another layer. Do this twice to create a nice "crust" edging. This will provide a nice solid frittata.
- Once the bottom has set layer in the vegetables, onions, basil, and tomatoes then cheese.
- Then place the f rittata under the broiler. Keep an eye on it until the top turns brown.
Route 196 is closed in East Hampton because of a multi-vehicle accident.
Officials at the University of Connecticut have begun work on a master plan to reshape the infrastructure at the school.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman are directing U.S. and Connecticut flags to fly at half-staff on Saturday in honor of the 20 children and six adults who were killed a year ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
Up to a foot of snow is expected to drop on the state during this weekend's storm.
A snow and ice storm headed for the Northeast is expected to slow weekend travel and has utilities and airports on alert.
Farmington police say an officer shot and killed a man while responding to a fight between a father and his adult son.
As the snow heads our way for the weekend, we're dealing with some freezing temperatures out there. News 8 got advice from some professionals on how to keep you safe.
Police have identified a man who was shot in the head in New Haven Thursday, and was originally misidentified because of a fake ID in his possession.
The treasurer of the Milford Rotary Club has been arrested on larceny charges on accusations he embezzled more than $200,000 from the Milford Rotary and two other groups.
The state Democratic Party is returning a $10,000 contribution from the chief executive of Comcast-Spectacor and owner of the Philadelphia Flyers, saying it has learned he could be a state contractor.