(WTNH) - Chef Sherry Swanson is in the kitchen with a seasonal dish.
3 cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup shallot, finely chopped
1 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups panko, divided
1/2 cup coarsely grated Fontina cheese
Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Spicy Tomato Jam
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large pinch red pepper flakes
28 oz can chopped tomatoes, juice reserved
salt, to taste
- Bring chicken stock to simmer in small saucepan. Reduce heat to very low; cover and keep warm. Heat olive
- oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add
- rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine; stir until absorbed, about 2 minute. Add stock, 1/3 cup at a time, and simmer
- until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more, and stirring
- often, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in 6 tablespoons Parmesan and butter. Season generously
- with salt and pepper. Spread risotto in 13x9x2-inch pan and cool completely.
- Spicy Tomato Jam
- Cover the bottom of a medium sauce pan with olive oil and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook over
- low heat until fragrant, abot 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rasie the temperature and cook until the
- tomato mixture is thick.
- Mix 1/2 cup panko, and Fontina cheese into risotto. Shape into 1 1/4-inch balls; flatten to 2-inch rounds.
- Arrange on rimmed baking sheet. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Set another rimmed baking sheet in oven. Place 1 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Dip
- risotto cakes into panko to coat. Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to coat bottom; heat oil over mediumhigh
- heat. Working in batches, sauté risotto cakes until crisp and brown, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to baking sheet in oven.
- Serve risotto cakes with a dollop of tomato jam and sprinkled with cheese and garnished with chives.
Learn more at www.aculinaryexperience.com