(WTNH) - Emilie the French Chef is in the kitchen with a French holiday specialty.
The French Galette des Rois
(Almond King Cake)
Ingredients for 4 - 6 people
2 sheets of frozen puff Pastry (I like the Pepperidge Farm brand) - thaw in refrigerator
2 cups ground blanched Almonds (Almond Meal)
1 cup of unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
4 tablespoons of bleached Flour
3 large Eggs
1 cup of granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon of natural Almond extract
1 teaspoon of natural Vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
Egg wash : 1 yolk Egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon of Milk
One "Feve". It is a small toy (ceramic or everything that can be heated !) - be very carful with young kids who can swallow the toy
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare the Frangipane (the filling) : with an electric beater (or by hand), mix the Almonds, Butter, Flour, Eggs, Sugar, and the Almond & Vanilla extracts. Mix until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Most of the puff pastry sheets are rectangular, and I prefer a round Galette des Rois. But of course, you can do a rectangular or square one !!!)
- For the round Galette, take a sheet of parchment paper a place one sheet of puff pastry, cut 1 circle the size of a plate (use a plate as a cookie cutter). Repeat the same with the second crust.
- Put one round on the parchment paper. Brush 1 inch around the edge of the circle with the Egg wash.
- Spread the frangipane (the filling) on the center of the crust (until the edges) and place the 2nd circle on the top, matching the edges of the circles.
- Press with your fingers the edges to stick them together. Press with your hand in the center to spread the filling uniformly.
- Use a knife to design and decorate the top of the galette and press the edges with a fork to prevent the filling spreading during baking time.
- Brush the top with the egg wash. DO NOT brush the edges (it might prevent the crust to rise correctly)
- Put the Galette and the parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and decrease at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered Sugar 5 min. before the end of baking.
- Serve warm or cold.
- DO NOT FORGET THE CROWN
- Slice the galette des rois, and the one who gets toy will be the King/Queen of the day. For the last 5 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar and bake until golden brown. Serve warm with gold paper crown on top.