Updated: Monday, 15 Oct 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 15 Oct 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Neighbors finally feel safer after two arrests were made in the shooting of a New Haven toddler.
Martiza Quinones was content as she sung the "A-B-C" song to her two year old nephew on the corner of Edgewood and Kensington, meaning she felt safe enough to enjoy even the simplest of things.
"I'm able to walk outside, kids are able to play outside, and it's good," Quinones said.
These are sentiments Quinones and many others did not share just a few days ago following the shooting of 16-month-old Tramire Miller at his home at 60 Kensington.
"I would just go from my porch to the car and from my car into the house," Quinones said.
Those hiding from the violence are offering praise to the New Haven Police Department after the arrest of two men accused of pulling the triggers.
19-year-old Tythrone Ford, was arrested and has cases pending and is out on $47,500 dollar bond.
18-year-old Joseph Metteus is being held on a two-and-a-half million dollar bond, a court order that enraged presumed family members.
"He's not the one! He's not the one, and that's (expletive) up! That is really (expletive) up," one family member said.
But two arrests do not mean concern doesn't linger anymore, so some are taking a pro-active approach by speaking out and fighting back.
"You should be able to sit on your porch, like everyday people," Lisa Tolson said. "Nobody has the right to tell you where you can or can not sit, or run around like your wild like the "Dukes of Hazzard" or John Wayne."
Stopping gang violence isn't as easy as "A-B-C," but how nice it is to at least take joy in singing that song, safely, on a sidewalk.
"Thank God! So far! Hopefully it stays like that," Quinones said.
Police said Monday that the shooting was another gang feud, nothing more, and a baby was almost killed because of it.
Joseph Metteus is back in court later this month.