Here are a few social media tips for high school/college students.
• Check your social networking privacy settings. Know what you are sharing and what you keep private.
• Know when to post and when to DM (direct message).
• Avoid embarassing pictures you wouldn't want a potential boss or your parents to see. Not just your pics, but the ones tagged by your friends.
• Avoid Online Gossip.
• Act like you would in real life.
• Don't Drunk-Facebook or Drunk-Tweet.
• Google yourself to see what is out there about you.
Updated: Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 6:06 AM EDT
WEST HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Two West Haven High School students have been arrested and expelled over alleged threats they made to the school on the Twitter social media site.
Sgt. Dave Tammaro tells The New Haven Register that the tweets were found by teachers earlier this month and had been posted by a junior and a sophomore. Police said they do not appear to be linked to each other.
The junior allegedly posted several messages about placing a bomb in a locker. The sophomore allegedly sent one tweet about shooting himself and other people.
The names of the students were not released. Tammaro said they both face felony charges.
He said the students' homes were searched and no weapons were found.
Police say both students said their tweets were meant to be jokes.
Information from: New Haven Register