Updated: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 11:19 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 9:24 PM EST
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WTNH) -- The future of Sandy Hook Elementary School is up for discussion again in Newtown Tuesday night.
Town leaders trying to sort out what to do with the school building as the community moves forward following the tragic shootings late last year.
Newtown's Public Building and Site Commission met Tuesday night to wrap up an improvement project at Newtown High School and now members want to take on a new challenge.
"We believe that with the expertise we actually have on our commission, that we should be an integral part of any of the committees that take place and what we should be doing with the Sandy Hook School either stay where it is, locate it in a new location and what that process should be and we want to be part of that process," said Bob Mitchell.
Since the shooting, there have been several meetings with the town and residents about the future of the school. Right now, Sandy Hook students are attending classes in Monroe.
"This is not something that's gonna happen next semester. We're not gonna be reopening a new Sandy Hook school. I would anticipate they'd still be at Chalk Hill, at least for another year," said Mitchell.
So what happens the following school year or school year after that? Some Newtown residents want the Sandy Hook building to re-open as a school, some say tear it down and others say find a new use for the building. Whatever Newtown elected officials decide, the Public Building and Site Commission will put that plan into action.
"So I'll be talking to first selectman about that, see what's our best role in helping the town get through this," said Mitchell.
No matter what happens in the building, this commission says the Sandy Hook section of town needs an elementary school.
"To move it out of Sandy Hook may not be the right approach. The town is looking at every available option so we can make an informed decision on what the right way to go is," said Mitchell.