Updated: Tuesday, 15 Dec 2009, 9:06 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 15 Dec 2009, 6:31 PM EST
(WTNH) - A nationwide voluntary recall is now underway involving the H1N1 Flu vaccine and the move affects families in Connecticut. The State Department of Public Health said 7,800 affected doses were distributed in-state.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says there are no real safety concerns linked to a nationwide H1N1 flu vaccine recall. It came about after tests, conducted by the manufacturer, showed the vaccine lost some of its strength after it was shipped.
In all, 7,800 doses were distributed in Connecticut last month given to children six months to nearly three years old.
"Remain calm; this is not a safety issue," advises Dr. Maryellen
Dr. Flaherty-Hewitt, the Chief of Pedicatrics at the Hospital of St. Raphael, said families "should definitely get their booster shot of the H1N1 vaccine, regardless, whether or not they got one from this recalled series or not."
The CDC recommends two shots within a month of each other.
The recalled vaccine was given out in Connecticut from November 11th through the 30th.
"There has to be four weeks between the two doses, so its unlikely they would have gotten both doses from that same lot," said Dr. Flaherty-Hewitt.
She highly recommends the H1N1 flu shot.
"We've been utilizing it here in our practice, pediatricians have been using it all over the state and safety is not the issue for this," Dr. Flaherty-Hewitt said. "I think it's protecting children and I think its doing the job it's suppose to."
The doses, likely already used, were given to 62 providers.
The State Department of Public Health said any unused vaccine should be returned.
For more information, you can call the state's H1N1 hotline at 1-800-830-9426.