Map of Torrington
Updated: Thursday, 29 Nov 2012, 11:05 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 29 Nov 2012, 11:00 PM EST
TORRINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) -- A 16-year-old male was burned after pouring gasoline onto a fire pit.
On Thursday around 8:00 p.m. police received 911 calls about a fire and "explosion" on Palmer Bridge Street.
A 16-year-old male was with two friends in a backyard when they started a fire pit.
They tried to get the fire to burn better by adding lighter fluid and when that didn't work, the 16-year-old male poured gasoline on the fire from a gas container, police reported.
The fire ignited and trailed back to the gas container. The male caught fire and several 911 callers reported the male ran as the fire ignited his clothes.
Neighbors tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
The male was transported to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital and will be Life Starred to Bridgeport Hospital, police reported.
He is listed in stable condition with burns on his limbs, chest and rib area.
There were no other injuries.
Two cars that were parked near the fire pit were slightly damaged.