Map of Torrington
Updated: Friday, 30 Nov 2012, 3:16 PM EST
Published : Friday, 30 Nov 2012, 3:16 PM EST
TORRINGTON, Conn. (WTNH)-- A Torrington teen was badly burned after catching on fire from a backyard fire pit on Thursday night.
Police say an unidentified 16-year-old boy was trying to get a fire going by using lighter fluid and then gasoline. After pouring it from the gas container, the fire quickly ignited, trailing it back to the container. This caused the boy's clothes to catch on fire.
Witnesses say the boy was running while on fire and neighbors tried to help by using a fire extinguisher on him
The boy was taken to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital then Life Starred to Bridgeport Hospital. Police say he is currently in stable condition with burns on his extremities, chest and the area near his ribs.
The two friends he was with were not injured.