A fire started by coals and ash tore through a two car garage and damaged the home attached. Nov 9, 2012.
Updated: Friday, 09 Nov 2012, 11:08 AM EST
Published : Friday, 09 Nov 2012, 11:02 AM EST
MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -- A fire started by coals and ash tore through a two car garage and damaged the home attached.
On Nov. 8 around 5:00 p.m., the Fire Dept. responded to a garage fire at 39 Tippy Rd. The two car garage was engulfed in flames and extended to the house, damaging the first floor family room, along with smoke and heat damage in the rest of the home.
Two cars in the garage were a total loss, but there were no reported injuries.
The investigation concluded that the fire started by improper disposal of coals and ash from a wood stove. They were placed in a paper bag and left in the garage, police reported.
The Fire Dept. advises people to put fire debris in a metal container and placed away from any structure because coals can smolder for days and cause a fire under the right conditions.