Updated: Tuesday, 27 Jul 2010, 2:23 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 27 Jul 2010, 10:38 AM EDT
New Haven, Conn. (WTNH) - After an appearance in Milford Superior Court Tuesday, Desiree Fontaine announced that she has resigned her on-air position with WTNH, effective immediately.
Fontaine was facing a charge of larceny in the sixth degree following a June 19th arrest for shoplifting at the Sears store in the Connecticut Post Mall.
The charge was dismissed following Fontaine's performing of community service.
Speaking outside of the court, Fontaine's attorney Hugh Keefe said "Desiree has resigned her position at Channel 8. She is looking forward to now getting on with her life and career. In a few months she will be a volunteer working with children overseas."
Keefe stated that she wanted to thank everyone for their incredible support during this ordeal. He added Fontaine was grateful for the opportunity she was given to work here in Connecticut.
Fontaine had been with the television station since March of 2008 as its morning traffic reporter. She had also become a host for the station's "Connecticut Style" program in early 2009.
"We have accepted Desiree's resignation from her on-air position with WTNH," WTNH's Vice President and Director of News Kirk Varner said. "We respect her decision to focus on her life and volunteer service, and we wish her well in all of her future endeavors."
When asked about who will replace Fontaine at the station, Varner stated there would be no immediate announcement regarding that question. "We are just beginning the search for people to take over those roles on a permanent basis," he added.