Updated: Monday, 28 Jan 2013, 11:24 PM EST
Published : Monday, 28 Jan 2013, 11:24 PM EST
(WTNH) -- For a lot of people in our state, news of that Brazilian night club fire that killed more than 200 people stirs some dark memories. It was nearly ten years ago when 100 people died in a nightclub fire in New England. The cause was pyrotechnics which is also believed to be the source of the fire this weekend in Brazil.
More than 230 people were dead after a fire early Sunday morning. It happened at Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil. Now there are reports fourt people have been arrested; two club owners and two band members.
Authorities believe sparks started when the band tried to light fireworks on stage. They also say there were 2,000 people inside the club, which is more than twice the capacity.
"I can't believe someone has actually done that in a crowded nightclub again," said Todd King a Station nightclub fire survivor.
Todd King survived another fire at an over crowded club, the Station nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island in February of 2003.
Pyrotechnics by the band Great White sparked the flames that killed 100 people and injured dozens including Gina Russo.
Her fiance died in the Station fire and since then she has been fighting fire safety.
"I can't help but watch because I'm one of them. It's just devastating that someone else has to experience it," said Russo. "I feel like I've done so much and I've spoke so many places. I try to educate the world on why our fire happened and let's learn from it and let's make sure it never happens again and it did."
Today families in Brazil tried to identify bodies of loved ones. Most died of smoke inhalation and others were trampled while trying to escape.
"The way that people could not get out the doors, the stampeding, the looks on people's faces in the video of just the panic, trying to help people get out and the hopelessness of not being able to help people escape from that situation," said King.
80 college students were among the 230 plus people who died in the brazil nightclub fire.