Updated: Saturday, 30 May 2009, 4:34 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 15 May 2009, 9:27 PM EDT
(WTNH) - With today's economy, many people are looking for non-traditional ways to change their financial luck. Perhaps there is something in the ancient Chinese practice of Feng Shui that we can try in our homes to bring in luck and prosperity. After all, the Chinese have been using these techniques for over 2,000 years!
Professional organizer Lisa Lelas joined GMC Weekend with some tips to create positive energy in your home.
1. Clear the entry way and keep it clean and clear. Nothing should be stored on the floor here. The ancient Chinese believe this area to be the 'mouth' of the home and must be clear to allow good, positive 'chi' energy to come in and flow through the house.
2. The front door and walkway should also be in good shape. No paint chips, clean windows and make sure the doorbell works.
3. Regularly open up windows and doors to improve air
circulation and to allow energy to flow.
4. Cull through and get rid of excess clutter. Even if you stuff it in closets or underbed, Feng Shui knows it's there and reduces positive effects within the home.
5. Keep fresh or silk flowers throughout the home, but never use dried flowers.
6. Organize your clothes closet to promote peacefulness and personal power. When you want to attract positive opportunities and experiences, clean out a closet.
7. To attract money place three coins in a red envelope and place it on your computer or desk. Red is considered to be a very lucky color in China and 3 is a lucky number.
8. Another way to bring financial good luck is to fill a small red envelope with dry rice and place it on a shelf in your kitchen. Rice is a staple food in China and a symbol of prosperity.
9. Fill a small jar with pennies and bury it outside your kitchen (to the east), which represents planting 'seed money' that will grow steadily in time.
10. Tape 3 coins underneath a planted flowerpot. The plant symbolizes growth and by affixing coins to pot containing a living plant, you encourage financial growth.
11. Best colors for your wallet or purse: black, white or grey, which are colors that Feng Shui associates with the metal element, representing stability, to help you hold onto money!
12. Frame a paper money bill in a gold frame and display it in your office or work space. Every time you see this symbol of wealth you will be reminded of your goal to attract money.
13. Tie a red ribbon around a piggy bank or cash box to draw more money toward you.
14. Tie a red ribbon around paid bills before you file them away. Thought to bring peace to the worry of paying bills and bring financial confidence.
15. Set a live plant on tank of your toilet or keep the lid always closed to keep your money growing and from being flushed away.
16. Copy or create the 'Ta Yu' symbol in a prominent place in your kitchen or office: draw 6 parallel lines, with a small gap in the second line down. This is from the I-Ching, an ancient Chinese oracle, which means "possession in Great Measure". Seeing this everyday will remind your subconscious mind to become more prosperous.
17. Vacuum or dust office lampshades to brighten your financial picture!