NANTERRE, France (AP) —A French court ordered a magazine publisher to hand over all digital copies of topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge within 24 hours and blocked further publication of what it called a "brutal display" of William and Kate's private moments.
Under the ruling Tuesday, the French gossip magazine Closer faces a daily fine of €10,000 ($13,100) if it fails to hand over the photos taken during the royals' vacation in southern France and cannot disseminate them any further, including on its website and tablet app.
The magazine published 14 photos of a partially clad Kate in its pages on Friday.
But if the royal family had hoped to block international publication, it was too late. Publications in Ireland and Italy already went ahead with the topless photos. Tuesday's ruling only affects Montedori Magazines France, Closer's publisher. The publisher also faces a €2,000 ($2,600) fine.
"These snapshots which showed the intimacy of a couple, partially naked on the terrace of a private home, surrounded by a park several hundred meters from a public road, and being able to legitimately assume that they are protected from passers-by, are by nature particularly intrusive," the French ruling decreed. "(They) were thus subjected to this brutal display the moment the cover appeared."
The photos show Prince William's wife Kate relaxing at a private villa in Provence, in southern France, sometimes without her bikini top and, in one case, her suit bottom partially pulled down to apply sunscreen.
The lawyer for Montedori failed to show up at the courthouse on Tuesday.
The case is the first of two legal actions by the British royals. In a reflection of just how intent they are on protecting their privacy — and likely dissuading paparazzi from future ventures — St. James's Palace has said family lawyers would be filing a criminal complaint.
Christopher Mesnooh, an American lawyer who works in Paris, said French law strongly protects privacy rights but tabloids have their own reasons for publication, even when they might be in violation of the law.
"It appears to give satisfaction entirely to the royal couple," Mesnooh said of Tuesday's ruling. "The problem with this kind of decision is the horse got out of the barn a long time ago."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A Hartford Superior Court judge has ordered a new election in New Britain to correct an Election Day ballot mix-up.
A federal judge has sentenced to five years in prison a Torrington man convicted of bank fraud and described by federal prosecutors as a "recidivist of the worst order."
A big toy drive that goes a long way towards brightening the holidays for local kids is underway in Bridgeport.
A Florida flight attendant has been acquitted in Connecticut of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old boy more than 100 times.
Reaction is pouring in from around the globe with the passing of Mandela. He's being remembered as a man who changed the world.
A man charged in the killings of three people during an alleged Bridgeport drug turf dispute in 2005 is going on trial in state court.
A pastor is accused of stealing from his own church and church members say he went on a spending spree.
The Connecticut Police Chiefs Association says Newtown police responded rapidly and followed current policy at last year's Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
A 28-year-old man was arrested for a hate crime assault in New London on Thursday.
A man was arrested after police believed he was about to commit an armed robbery in a convenience store in New London.