LOS ANGELES (AP) — The cast of "The Expendables 2" say they're giving co-star and writer Sylvester Stallone space after the death of his son last month.
Stallone's 36-year-old son Sage died on July 13 in his Los Angeles home — a day after Stallone was joined by Arnold Schwarzenegger and other "Expendables" stars at Comic-Con in San Diego.
"Something like that is so severe. You can't really do anything. I sent him a handwritten note. I contributed to a charity for his kid," said Dolph Lundgren, one of a number of aging action stars featured in the film, which opens Aug. 17.
"He knows we're thinking about him," Lundgren said at a recent media event for the film. "He knows us. He knows our prayers go out to him. But what are you going to do? I have two kids. And all you can do is hug your kids and go thank God it didn't happen to you."
Stallone has not made any public appearances since the death. His publicist said in a statement that the star was "devastated and grief-stricken." No cause of death has been announced.
Sage Moonblood Stallone was the oldest of Sylvester Stallone's children and co-starred with his father in two films: 1990's "Rocky V" and 1996's "Daylight."
Mixed-martial-arts veteran turned actor Randy Couture said the cast was missing Stallone during promotion of the film, which includes a European trip and next week's Los Angeles premiere.
"He is the leader of this group, both on-screen and off-screen. And so we miss him here," Couture said. "But we understand. We're parents. We have kids. We can't really imagine what he's going through now. But what do you say? ... So we're giving him space."
Co-star Terry Crews, a former NFL player turned actor, said the cast would handle publicity for the film to allow Stallone time to grieve.
"The best thing that we can do right now is hold it down here for him. This is his baby," Crews said. "This is one thing that he came up with that he's changed the world yet again. And I'm proud to be here and repping for him. Whatever he needs, we got him."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) — Nurses and technicians who have been locked out in a labor dispute with Lawrence + Memorial Hospital in New London have learned that state law does not protect them from losing health care coverage.
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — It's been a painful and frenetic year for all of Newtown, Conn.
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — Bristol police say they have arrested and charged a 51-year-old man who threatened to blow up City Hall because of a lien placed on property he owns.
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Two men charged with supporting terrorists in Afghanistan and Chechnya are due to appear in a federal court in Connecticut.
A 22-year-old Norwich woman was arrested for selling drugs in a parking lot and attempting to flee from officers on Monday.
A Danbury teen was stabbed to death during a brawl on Saturday night.
Route 1 in Guilford was closed in both directions Monday afternoon, because of a house fire.
The Goodspeed Opera House has offered Trumbull High School their stage for the student's canceled production of Rent.
It's still not clear what triggered a deadly shooting in Manchester over the weekend but police say they now know the identity of the person who killed the three women before taking his own life.
The families from the tragedy at Sandy Hook are sending a message to the state and nation, and town leaders are sending a message to the nation's news media about next Saturday, December 14th.