374 years ago a violent battle took place in July in a swamp located within the borders of what would become Fairfield.
• In its earliest years, Town Meeting participants chose who was allowed to settle in Fairfield.
• Towns created from Fairfield include Redding, Weston, Bridgeport and Westport.
• Once located on the green, Edward's Pond was used to dunk women suspected of being witches.
• Penfield Reef Lighthouse is said to be haunted by an old keeper believed to have drowned during a 1916 storm.
• The first train came through Fairfield in December of 1848.
• Built around 1870, Pine Creek Park Bridge is a rare Keystone-column bridge built as a railroad structure.