When emergencies happen on Long Island Sound the Coast Guard answers to the call. They don't take the task lightly, relying on forecasts and conditions for their plan of action. And they have the tools to back it up.
Long Island Sound can be formidable and rescuers need to work fast to save lives. Speed is one of the elements the Coast Guard is counting on with its new rescue boat.
in 1998, News 8 searched for icebergs with the Coast Guard's International Ice Patrol.
In 2009, News 8 was on a Coast Guard ice breaker on the Connecticut River.
Find out more about the various safety and rescue missions of the Coast Guard.
According to the Coast Guard, on an average day the Coast Guard...
• Saves 12 lives
• Responds to 64 search & rescue cases
• Keeps 842 pounds of cocaine off the streets
• Services 116 buoys & fixes 24 discrepancies
• Screens 720 commercial vessels & 183,000 crew & passengers
• Investigates 13 marine accidents
• Performs 28 safety & environmental examinations of foreign vessels