(WTNH) -- With parts of the state expecting another heat wave this week, many towns are beginning to announce cooling center openings.
Bridgeport will open the following cooling center for the general public:
- Greater Bridgeport Transit Main Bus Terminal at 710 Water St., will be open Tuesday and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The American Red Cross will provide cold water.
Bristol will open the following cooling center for the general public:
- Bristol Public Library, 5 High Street, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The main floor of the library is available for people to come in and cool off during this most recent heat wave.
Hartford will open the following cooling centers from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.:
- North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry Street
- South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue
- Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue
- Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street
- Hispanic Senior Center, 45 Wadsworth Street
Mayor Segarra also reminds residents that the four community pools will also be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, with open swim from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Middletown will open the following cooling center for the general public:
- Municipal Building Council Chamber, 245 Dekoven Drive, from 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- The lobby of the Middletown Police Department, 222 Main Street, which will be open 24 hours a day
- The Russell Library, 123 Broad Street, will also be available for cooling during normal business hours
- Elderly persons are advised to utilize the Senior Center, 150 William Street, from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Transportation to the cooling center at City Hall can be arranged by calling Middletown Area Mat (MAT) at 860.346.0212 (Ext. 2) until 6:15 PM each day.
Middletown Fire, South Fire District and Westfield Fire District will be opening fire hydrants at the following locations and during the following times:
- The Highland Crescent Drive Bus Stop 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Maplewood Terrace 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM; 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Macdonough School Noon - 3:00 PM; 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Summer Hill Road and Woodbury Circle 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM; 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Santangelo Circle Noon - 3:00 PM
- Dadarrio Road 6:00 PM - 800 PM
New Haven will open the following cooling centers for seniors-only, daily to 4 p.m.:
- Atwater Senior Center at 26 Atwater Street, New Haven
- Dixwell/Newhallville Senior Center at 255 Goffe Street, New Haven (People with wheelchairs will need assistance to help travel up ramp)
- East Shore Senior Center at 411 Townsend Avenue, New Haven
New Haven will open the following cooling centers for the general public:
- New Haven Free Public Library Main Building at 133 Elm Street (open Tuesday and Wednesday from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm)
- Fair Haven Branch Library at 182 Grand Avenue (open Tuesday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm)
- Mitchell Branch Library at 37 Harrison Street (open Wednesday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm)
- Stetson Branch Library at 200 Dixwell Avenue in the Dixwell Plaza (open Tuesday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Wednesday from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm)
- Courtland Seymour Wilson Branch Library at 303 Washington Avenue (open Tuesday from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Wednesday from 10:00 pm to 6:00 pm)
Old Saybrook will open the following cooling center for the general public:
- Town Hall until 4:30 p.m.
- Acton Library until 8:30 p.m.
Simsbury will open the following cooling centers for the general public:
- Simsbury Public Library, 725 Hopmeadow Street, 9:30am-8:30pm; 860-658-7663
- Eno Memorial Hall (Senior Center), 754 Hopmeadow Street, 8:30am-4:30pm; 860-658-3273
Anyone attending a cooling center is reminded to bring lunch or snacks as most centers do not provide food. Seniors attending senior centers may need to give 24-hour notice for senior meals.
You can also call the Connecticut Infoline at 211 or visit www.211ct.org to get information about cooling centers near you.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.
STORRS, Conn. (AP) — The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP) — A student accused of setting off a lockdown and massive police response at Central Connecticut State University by wearing a ninja-like costume on campus is set to face a judge for the first time.
Newtown police officers rescued two people from a house fire, early Sunday.
Manchester police are investigating what lead one man to allegedly kill three women and then take his own life.
Enfield resident Harold Slater was just 20-years-old the day he witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Two men were arrested after breaking into a home then driving at officers during a pursuit in Waterbury on Saturday night.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The two youngest members of the U.S. Senate are co-sponsoring a bill aimed at lowering college costs that includes withholding federal funds from schools that don't meet affordability and quality standards.
New Haven police are investigating the death of a man who was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Police in Connecticut say a man they suspect killed three women took his own life minutes after officers confronted him.