NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)-- This is the future vision of the city's Long Wharf district between the highway and railroads tracks.
The ideas include a food market, amphitheater, water park and big buildings that overlook the waterfront.
Matthew Nemerson, the economic development administrator for the City of New Haven says, "The idea of thousands and thousands of new apartments any place with beautiful water views and access to the highway and also access to the train station is very exciting."
The city received a $900,000 grant from the state. Half of the money was put into the food truck area, and the other half is being used to create a plan that transforms the waterfront district.
Nemerson added, "We want to inspire the people who own Sports Haven, who own the food terminal, who are managing the regional water authority. We want to inspire them to think about how much their land could be worth and really bring in national, global quality developers who have ideas about festival market places and high rise buildings."
There are hundreds of acres of private land on Long Wharf waiting to be developed. Nemerson told News 8, "One is the area by Sports Haven which is across from the water so there's an office building there, there are tanks there, oil tanks and then there's this big parking lot where the off track betting was and then on the other side we have everything from IKEA all along the back there."Related Content: Revitalization coming to New Haven's Long Wharf
People are excited about the idea. Jordan Dawkins said, "There's not a lot of traffic that comes by here and it will bring a lot more traffic and more revenue and more people."
People told News 8 they would travel to New Haven if Long Wharf had something more to offer. Jose Pinto lives in Bridgeport. He said, "Connecticut doesn't really have much so something for like the kids would be like something great."
The design team has looked at other cities that recreated the seashore. Nemerson added, "We want people to think about this the way they think about Seattle, San Diego, the way they think about Baltimore." The city said it would be an investment. and create thousands of jobs for the region.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Traffic tough for travelers to start Memorial Day weekend
- Police: Man wearing ski mask brings BB gun into Family Dollar after being fired
- Suspect who punched man in head, stole his wallet sought
- Military members, families given opportunity to become American citizens
- Waterbury to begin new safety program for city pools
- Plainfield veteran receives gift of mobility
- Quinnipiac University holding 18th-annual 'Veterans Awareness Day'
Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) on Thursday released their forecast for this year's Atlantic hurricane season, predicting a near normal or above normal season.Read More »
- Bethany farm hit by tornado still picking up pieces
- Video: Lava bombs damage homes near Kilauea Volcano
- Showers move through Connecticut Tuesday afternoon
- A look at some of the recent tornadoes in Connecticut
- National Weather Service confirms macroburst hit Brookfield on Tuesday
- Photos: Tuesday storm takes down trees, knocks out power across Connecticut
- Tuesday storms impact evening commute, cause power outages
It was a lot of stop and go, with the emphasis on stop, on Interstate 95 in...Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store...Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his...Read More »
On this holiday weekend when those who died serving our country are...Read More »
There's a big change coming this summer and you'd better know about it before...Read More »
Check out the highlights.Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store shortly after he was fired.Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his wallet.Read More »