ORANGE, Conn. (WTNH) -- A Sam's Club location in Orange is set to close toward the end of January.
According to a letter sent from Sam's Club to the Connecticut Department of Labor, the business's location at 2 Boston Post Road will close to the public on Jan. 26.
The letter states that all hourly employees at the location will be terminated effective March 16. Management employees will be terminated on April 13.Related Content: Walmart raises starting wages, handing out bonuses
155 employees are being impacted by the closing, according to the letter.
On Thursday morning, customers discovered a sign on the building saying that the store was closed for the day but would reopen on Friday.
Customers reacted to the news on Thursday, with emotions ranging from surprise to confusion.
"Since I was four or five I remember coming to Sam's weekly to get groceries and to [get] gas so I'm really surprised actually," said Jesse Okeke.
"Shocked, very shocked," expressed Vernon Cotman. "The parking lot [is] usually very full. But they ain't full today. I don't know why, but they ain't."
A second Sam's Club in Manchester is also set to close.
In press release, Sam's Club President and CEO John Furner stated,
Transforming our business means managing our real estate portfolio and Walmart needs a strong fleet of Sam's Clubs that are fit for the future. We know this is difficult news for our associates and we are working to place as many of them as possible at nearby locations. Our focus today has been on those associates and their communities, and communicating with them."
The company says 63 Sam's Club locations around the country are set to close, and that 12 of these locations will be converted into eCommerce Facilities.
- Good Samaritan hailed for helping bring suspect into custody in East Haven
- WATCH: Democratic Gubernatorial Forum
- Crews battle Middletown house fire
- Barbara Bush remembered at funeral as 'the first lady of the greatest generation'
- Ansonia fugitive arrested for child pornography
- State police mourn the loss of K-9 Erol
- Connecticut Senators among those calling on U.S. mental health bill to be fully implemented
Expect dry skies after midnight, with some clearing. Get the latest forecast from Storm Team 8.Read More »
- Storm Team 8's Sam Kantrow visits Crosby High School
- Allergy season returns
- The 2018 hurricane season could be as busy as the 2017 season
- Good news about tick season
- Sunshine and clouds for Wednesday
- Outdoor sports on hold for now
- How rare is April snow?
A Good Samaritan is being applauded for intervening when a suspect got...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection plans to intentionally...Read More »