HARTFORD, Conn. (AP/WTNH) - The National Weather Service has confirmed that four tornadoes touched down in Connecticut Tuesday.
The weather service said Wednesday night that an EF1 tornado with estimated peak winds of 110 mph moved along a 9 ½ mile path between Beacon Falls and Hamden. A second EF1 tornado with peak winds of 100 mph moved along a 4 ½ mile path between Southbury and Oxford.
Later Thursday morning, the weather service reported that there were two more tornadoes in the state.
An EF1 tornado with peak winds of 95 mph touched down in Winsted and another tornado moved through Barkhamsted Reservoir.
Two people in New Fairfield and Danbury were killed in separate accidents when trees fell on their trucks, including a woman whose 3-year-old child escaped injury.
The storms downed scores of trees and power lines. More than 120,000 homes and businesses lost electricity.
In Hamden, where one of the tornadoes hit, a top of a large tree came off and fell onto wires, which is the only thing keeping it from blocking Gaylord Mountain Road.
That is just one of the many scenes neighborhoods across the town are dealing with.
"We have trees down in our yard. Neighbors have trees in their homes. We have one in our house, one in our car. Trees are just snapped in half," said Chris Borzillo of Hamden. "My wife was in her car. She said she could see a tornado and pulled into a driveway and a tree went right down right behind her."
"It's hard to fathom all of the work that still needs to be done. The trees are actually laying on power lines all the way down to the ground," said Jimmy Apuzzo of Hamden.
Miles away where the second tornado touched down, drivers in Southbury and Oxford are faced with some impassable roads. Scenes of transformers lying across the ground can be seen throughout the area.
On Thursday, communities across the state are continuing their clean up efforts. United Illuminating crews are currently working on 17 hours on and 7 hours off shifts. Eversource says they are getting help from crews from New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says he's signed an emergency order that will give state agencies flexibility in helping cities and towns recover.
Join our Storm Team 8: Connecticut Weather Photos Facebook group to share your photos and videos with us, tell us about your storm experience and see what other residents are saying.
- Traffic tough for travelers to start Memorial Day weekend
- Police: Man wearing ski mask brings BB gun into Family Dollar after being fired
- Suspect who punched man in head, stole his wallet sought
- Military members, families given opportunity to become American citizens
- Waterbury to begin new safety program for city pools
- Plainfield veteran receives gift of mobility
- Quinnipiac University holding 18th-annual 'Veterans Awareness Day'
Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) on Thursday released their forecast for this year's Atlantic hurricane season, predicting a near normal or above normal season.Read More »
- Bethany farm hit by tornado still picking up pieces
- Video: Lava bombs damage homes near Kilauea Volcano
- Showers move through Connecticut Tuesday afternoon
- A look at some of the recent tornadoes in Connecticut
- National Weather Service confirms macroburst hit Brookfield on Tuesday
- Photos: Tuesday storm takes down trees, knocks out power across Connecticut
- Tuesday storms impact evening commute, cause power outages
It was a lot of stop and go, with the emphasis on stop, on Interstate 95 in...Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store...Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his...Read More »
On this holiday weekend when those who died serving our country are...Read More »
There's a big change coming this summer and you'd better know about it before...Read More »
Check out the highlights.Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store shortly after he was fired.Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his wallet.Read More »