The death occurred on Caloosa Boulevard, cross street Lake Boulevard.
According to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, Dillen Murray, 16, and Giovanni Diaz, 15, went into the woods, presumably to play.
Judd said that's where Murray beat Diaz to death with the bat.
Murray allegedly told a witness what he had done and went home and called 911.
The witness found Diaz dead.
Murray told a deputy "he whaled on" the other boy with the bat, and referred to him as a friend.
Judd said the Murray has three previous battery charges, two of which were on the victim.
Judd said they do not yet know why he killed the other boy and have no further details.
Manhunt underway for suspect in...
PD: Over 300 bags of fentanyl, other...
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- The state that wants to spend more, not less, on prison food
- Carson plan would raise rent for millions in public housing
- School counselors sued in sexual assault case
- Here's why Subway could close another 500 restaurants
- Wanted Pennsylvania man leads police chase from Old Saybrook to Madison
- Neighbors upset over plan to extend Tweed runway to offer commercial flights
- House passes immigrant tuition bill after daylong debate
A sure sign of spring here, the stocking of fish in rivers and lakes across Connecticut and in one community you'll have the opportunity to do some fishing very soon, and you don't even need a permit.Read More »
- Showers likely through Wednesday afternoon
- Storm Team 8's Sam Kantrow visits Crosby High School
- Allergy season returns
- The 2018 hurricane season could be as busy as the 2017 season
- Good news about tick season
- Sunshine and clouds for Wednesday
- Outdoor sports on hold for now
Dropped onto Connecticut inmates' food trays in recent days was a concoction...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Two men are facing drug charges after police executed a search warrant in...Read More »
Police have arrested a man who they say started a police chase in Old...Read More »
It was pitched as tapping into untapped potential, creating a hub in southern...Read More »
But it's also hoping to open as many as 1,000 stores overseas. The company has 44,000 locations globally -- more than any other retailer.Read More »
Police in Derby have identified the man who was killed in a crash on Route 34 early Tuesday morning.Read More »
Police have arrested a man who they say started a police chase in Old Saybrook, which ended with a crash on I-95 in Madison.Read More »