NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - The Connecticut Supreme Court rejected an appeal by MichaelSkakel for a new trial in the 1975 slaying of his 15-year-oldGreenwich neighbor Martha Moxley.
In short, the majority of the justices have said new evidenceclaims made by Skakel's legal team wasn't enough to bring about anew trial.
Skakel was sentenced to prison after a jury found him guilty ofthe 1975 murder of Moxley by using a family golf club to beat herto death.
The crime remained unsolved for years. Two decades later Skakelwas arrested put on trial. He was convicted in 2002. He launchedhis appeal in 2007, claiming he was wrongly convicted.
Skakel's appeal centered on a videotaped interview that Gitano"Tony" Bryant gave to an investigator claiming two of his friendsadmitted to being in Greenwich the night of the killing and goingcaveman on a local girl.
A judge didn't buy it and rejected the appeal.
The state Supreme Court said while the tape may have beenadmissible it didn't meet the standard of compelling enough toresult in an acquittal. It's not enough that it might cause somejurors to have reasonable doubt.
There was one dissenting opinion.
This means Skakel, who is 49, remains behind bars atMacDougall-Walker Correctional Institution serving a twenty yearsto life sentence.
There was no comment Monday from
In a statement issue Monday afternoon, Attorney Hubert Santos,who represented Skakel in the appeal to the State SupremeCourt, said he was disappointed in the decision.
"The jury that convicted Michael Skakel in 2002 simply did nothave all of the avidence," Santos said. "It is a travesty that theConnecticut courts continue to deny Mr. Skakel's request that thenew information be examined and considered by a jury. Fairness andjustice require no less."
Santos said the appeals on behalf of Skakel are not over.
Remembrance ceremonies are underway across the state and nation in honor of the victims at Sandy Hook.
A 22-year-old New Haven man is in critical condition after being shot in the head Thursday afternoon.
An old school in New London has become an eyesore, but now it's a money-making opportunity for the city.
UConn is expected to make it official in a news conference Thursday afternoon, but they have made a decision regarding who will be leading the football team next season.
The State Democratic Party has had to return a $10,000 contribution that appears to be illegal. It may be the first campaign contribution 'flare-up' of next year's race for governor.
Police say DNA evidence helped them crack a cold case investigation out of East Hampton.
An adult and a teen have been arrested in connection with a drunk driving crash that killed a Hebron teenager in August.
We have been telling you about a little boy, just 6-years-old, suspended from school for kissing a girl on the hand. We've been getting a lot of calls about that one.
As we brace for a winter storm this weekend, some Connecticut farmers are just recovering from the previous two bad winter seasons.
It was all a hoax, but the cost of last month's Yale gunman scare is no joke. We're talking thousands and guess who foots that hefty bill?