(WTNH) -- Here's some information about dogs and the number of dog bite injuries in the U.S. and the costs.
Dog Facts in the USA
According to the 2011-2012 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association :
- 62 percent of American households have a pet (72.9 million homes).
- Total number of pets owned (millions):
- Cat -- 86.4
- Dog -- 78.2
- Bird -- 16.2
- Freshwater Fish -- 151.1
What is a Pit Bull
From dogsbite.org , "A pit bull type dog is a combination of dog breeds that includes the American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog and any other pure bred or mixed breed dog that is a combination of these dogs. Read More
The World's Most Dangerous Dogs
According to numbers crunched by The Daily Beast , the most vicious dogs are:
- Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier
- Chow Chow
- Bull Mastiff
Breed Specific Legislation:
Some states and municipalities have created laws that target one specific breed, such as Pit Bulls. Pawtucket, Rhode Island , is one city that bans Pit Bulls.
Understand-a-bull.com , a site that opposes breed specific legislation, lists each state and whether there are state or local laws regarding certain dog breeds.
The Humane Society of the United States opposes Breed Specific Legislation.
Dog Bite Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , each year:
- 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs
- 800,000 Americans seek medical attention for dog bites, half of these are children.
- 386,000 require treatment in an emergency department
- About 16 die from dog bites
- The rate of dog bite-related injuries is highest for children ages 5 to 9 years
Dog Bite Costs
State Farm Insurance said it paid out more than $109 million in 2011 for dog bite claims. The Insurance Information Institute estimates insurers across the country paid nearly $479 million in dog bite claims. The top five states where claims were paid:
What To Do If You Think A Dog May Attack
The Humane Society of the United States says if you are approached by a dog who may attack you, follow these steps:
- Resist the impulse to scream and run away.
- Remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog.
- Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
- If the dog does attack, "feed" him your jacket, purse, bicycle, or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
- If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your ears and remain motionless. Try not to scream or roll around.
Also from the Humane Society:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's governor is calling for houses of worship to mark the first anniversary of the Newtown school shooting by ringing their bells 26 times — once for each of the victims killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.
STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) — Authorities have canceled an alert for a missing a 16-year-old Stamford girl they say ran away with her 1-year-old son.
When you hear the soothing tones of Bing Crosby you just know a Christmas tree is close by.
New Haven police are investigating the death of a man who was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.
Stamford police are looking for a 16-year-old girl and her one year old son.
A gun buyback program sponsored by Hartford police and area hospitals collected 181 guns, including seven assault weapons.
Police in Waterbury are looking for clues to solve a late-night homicide where a man was shot in the neck.
A two-alarm fire destroyed a church in Pomfret Saturday afternoon.
Connecticut U.S. senators are stepping up pressure on Metro-North Railroad to revamp safety systems after federal transportation regulators ordered the commuter train operator to take emergency measures in the wake of a derailment that …
A 23-year-old Uncasville man has been arrested on assault and drunken driving charges related to a Halloween crash in Ledyard, police said.