Associated Press - NEW LONDON, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut College President Katherine Bergeron has ordered a review of the school's social media policies and an update of how bias incidents are handled after students protested a professor's Facebook post comparing Gaza Strip to a "rabid pit bull."
Andrew Pessin, a philosophy professor at the New London college, posted in August that Gaza is in a cage "because of its repeated efforts to destroy Israel and Jews." He took to Facebook during the seven-week war between Israel and Hamas.
He apologized and said he referred to the Hamas rulers and not Palestinians. He removed the post.
Bergeron did not denounce Pessin or his Facebook statement. She said he and his critics have a right to free speech.
Students criticized Bergeron for failing to do more to condemn the professor and his comments.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- State Democrats holding festival to highlight policies
- Public safety forum to focus on crime recidivism, priorities
- Ugly dogs return for annual Northern California contest
- Capitol Report 'After Hours:' Connecticut Gubernatorial candidates making moves
- Malloy offers state assistance to reunite immigrant families
- Lawmakers, demonstrators want immigrant families reunited
- Man charged with sexual assault of an Uber driver
- Illinois Good Samaritans rescue driver from car overturned in creek
- Scattered thunderstorms in some parts of the state overnight
- CRAZY VIDEO: Park-goers run for cover as windstorm sweeps up porta potties
- How to collect rain water and save money
- Gypsy moths expected to die off soon
- Storm Team 8 Co-Chief Meteorologist Joe Furey visits young and old viewers
- Storm Team 8 Senior Meteorologist Fred Campagna to carry Special Olympics torch
New Haven police are investigating a fatal shooting that happened on Henry...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Connecticut criminal justice officials are set to discuss how to prevent...Read More »
On this week's "Capitol Report: After Hours", Hartford Courant reporter Neil...Read More »
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy is pushing for federal authorities to move...Read More »
New Haven police are investigating a fatal shooting that happened on Henry Street midday Saturday.Read More »