STAMFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -- The mother of the three girls killed in a tragic Christmas day fire in Stamford is going to sue the city of Stamford.
The house was destroyed, the rubble carted away, and five months later, the cards and flowers left at the curb are long gone, but the lawsuits from the fire here are just beginning.
Last month it was Matthew Badger who filed notice that he plans to sue the City of Stamford.
Now, according to the Stamford Advocate , his ex-wife, Madonna Badger, has done the same thing.
The fire started early Christmas morning. While Madonna and her boyfriend made it out of the house, her parents and her three young daughters all died.
The waterfront house was under renovation and the smoke detectors were removed, even though the family was still living inside. The cause was carelessly discarded fireplace ashes, but Matthew Badger's lawsuit says the City of Stamford failed to inspect the on-going renovations and it may have destroyed evidence by demolishing the house just a day after the fire.
Now Connecticut law has already been changed to tighten up restrictions regarding smoke detectors, and there's already a criminal investigation into whether anybody did anything wrong before the fire.
News 8 wanted to find out from people if they thought the lawsuits were actually going to do any good.
"I don't know who really is at fault," said Joseph Greene. "They're just looking for a scapegoat, obviously, trying to get some money out of the deal because it was so horrific."
"Well, if the City of Stamford is going to be responsible for fighting these cases, well, it comes out of our tax money," said Frank Moretti.
What about the idea that city inspectors should have done more?
"You know, they should check more on permits and who's doing work," said Steve Pahoulis, "and if stuff is in place when people are living in these homes."
News 8 spoke to a neighbor who's been in construction for years, and he thinks no one should have been living in that house while the work went on.
"I don't think they can sue the city," said Luan Vrzivoli. "I don't think she was allowed to be in the house before it was finished."
"And you're in construction, so you know about this," questioned News 8's Kent Pierce.
"As far as I know, when you are doing construction in the house, you should be out from the house," Vrzivioli replied.
After Sandy Hook, some of the top trauma surgeons in the country, including some here in Connecticut, put together a think tank to try to come up with a plan to save lives of more of the wounded in a mass shooting like Sandy Hook.
A silver alert has been issued for missing Coventry teen girl.
A 9-1-1 malfunction is raising lots of questions across the state. What made the system go down? And how did that impact response time?
All over Connecticut, special tributes are being held this week to remember those who's lives were cut short at Sandy Hook.
A 22-year-old New Haven man is in critical condition after being shot in the head Thursday afternoon.
An old school in New London has become an eyesore, but now it's a money-making opportunity for the city.
UConn is expected to make it official in a news conference Thursday afternoon, but they have made a decision regarding who will be leading the football team next season.
The State Democratic Party has had to return a $10,000 contribution that appears to be illegal. It may be the first campaign contribution 'flare-up' of next year's race for governor.
Police say DNA evidence helped them crack a cold case investigation out of East Hampton.
An adult and a teen have been arrested in connection with a drunk driving crash that killed a Hebron teenager in August.