Editor's note: Ruchi Gupta, a physician and Public Voices Fellow with The OpEd Project, is associate professor of pediatrics and director of the Program for Maternal and Child Health at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine. She is the author of " The Food Allergy Experience. "
Children should not die in schools. Children should not die from eating common foods. A minuscule speck of a peanut, not even visible, should not take a young child's life in minutes.
And yet this has happened in the past two years -- to 13-year-old Kaitlyn in Chicago and to 7-year-old Ammaria in Virginia. As the holidays approach and celebratory treats are brought into schools from home, we must ensure children with food allergies are safe.
Congress can contribute to that by rapidly passing the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act . This bill would provide states with incentives to require elementary schools and secondary schools to maintain, and permit school personnel to administer, epinephrine -- a form of adrenaline that eases hives and breathing difficulties and when injected, prevents rapid death.
Quite reasonably, many people are a bit suspicious of the new hypersensitivity about foods, wondering if a little hysteria surrounds the issue. Most adults -- including me -- grew up in a world where PB&J was a staple. I don't remember having a single friend whose food was restricted for fear of a reaction that could take his or her life.
Unfortunately, and for reasons no one fully understands, food allergies have indeed become more common and more severe.
In 2010, I was part of a group of researchers at Northwestern University of Medicine who surveyed a demographically representative sample of 40,000 U.S. families. In a peer-reviewed study published in Pediatrics in June 2011, we revealed our findings: One in 13 children in the U.S. has a food allergy, and 40% of those have had a potentially life-threatening reaction such as difficulty breathing and throat constriction. To put that in perspective, that means two children in every school classroom, or almost 6 million American kids, have a food allergy that could potentially endanger their lives.
And yet food is a part of almost everything children do. In school, they eat breakfast, lunch, snacks, treats. They eat special items for birthdays, holidays, and random celebrations. Even if every mother and father tries to be especially careful about what they send to school, no one can predict when a child with a food allergy will accidentally have a reaction to something.
Fortunately, a simple and affordable solution can save lives and relieve at least some of the stress and anxiety about children's well-being. In 2011, the Chicago Public Schools put into place the Illinois School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act. All 681 Chicago public schools, collectively educating more than 400,000 children, have an epinephrine auto-injector to quickly administer the medicine needed to help save a child's life in a severe allergy attack. School nurses and staff know exactly how to respond in a food allergy emergency.
Congress has an opportunity to pass a similar bill before it ends its session. Sen. Richard Durbin introduced the School Access to Epinephrine Act on November 17, 2011. It can and should be passed.
Why should the nation invest in preventing allergic reactions to foods in particular? Many other equally urgent health issues -- asthma and obesity -- afflict schoolchildren. And, quite rightly, public health experts and school nurses are working on those health problems as well.
But no one wants a child to die in minutes simply because she ate a cupcake at her friend's school birthday party that was supposedly nut-free -- but had been packaged or made on a counter where nuts had been used. This bill will help schools have epinephrine auto-injectors on hand and trained staff for those emergencies. That could save the lives of those two children in each American classroom who are at risk.
Copyright © 2012 CNN. All Rights Reserved
The former Director of News at News Channel 8, Keith Hirshland was here in the late 1980's and after he left he went on to be on the ground floor of ESPN 2, and was among the first to be hired in 1994 at the newly-formed Golf Channel where…
One of the mothers who lost a child at Sandy Hook reached out to help another family deal with tragedy.
A West Haven man has won a $12 million settlement against East Haven police after he was badly hurt by a drunk driver seven years ago.
A silver alert has been issued for a missing 27-year-old Griswold woman.
A 21-year-old Connecticut driver has formally pleaded not guilty in a highway accident that fatally injured a business writer riding his bicycle on Route 302 in Bethel.
The student center at University of Bridgeport was evacuated after smoke was reported coming from the roof, Wednesday evening.
New Haven's mayor has signed over ownership of the historic Shubert Theater to a not-for-profit organization that has operated it for the city for more than a decade.
Three young men in Norwich are facing assault charges for allegedly shooting paintballs at pregnant women and their children.
The court arraignment of a Central Connecticut State University student accused of wearing a costume that triggered a massive police response to the campus has been delayed another month.
Yesterday we saw our first snowfall across the state. Many kids had their first snow days and many of you called in to tell us how you felt about the weather. Lots of you questioned why there were so many school closings and cancellations …