DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - NASCAR will likely require baseline concussion tests for all drivers in 2014.
Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR's senior vice president of racing operations, said officials have also urged drivers to get an ImPACT test before this season.
"We've encouraged them all to get that, with the emphasis that in 2014 that almost likely will be mandated for all of them," O'Donnell said Thursday at Daytona International Speedway. "We're in the process of doing that right now. We're educating them on what it is, how it works, and we'll come back with that for the 2014 preseason."
The test is used by many professional sports leagues, including the NFL, to assess concussions and determine when an injured athlete can safely return to play. The ImPACT test has transformed the way concussions are managed by giving a tangible measure of what's going on in the brain. It's a computer-based series of fast-paced quizzes involving words, pictures and colors. Scores reflect how quickly and correctly the questions are answered.
Four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon voluntarily took the test and says all drivers should complete one even if it's not mandatory.
"Why not go ahead and get ahead of the game?" Gordon said. "Plus, I would rather have it before the season starts, before the potential of having a head injury, to get a baseline."
Dale Earnhardt Jr. missed two races last season during the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship with a concussion. Earnhardt was checked out last year by Dr. Micky Collins, the clinical and executive director of the Sports Medicine Concussion Program at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Collins is one of the leading experts in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of athletes who have suffered concussions. He helped with developed the ImPACT test with Dr. Mark Lovell.
"The rest is really simple and pretty straightforward," Earnhardt said.
Gordon said Earnhardt's injury was the deciding factor in getting tested.
"I didn't even know what an ImPACT test was prior to that," he said.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Governor Malloy congratulated the responders Wednesday, for their swift actions at the University of New Haven.
A 23-year-old Bridgeport pharmacy employee was arrested for home invasion Tuesday, after forcing his way into a 78-year-old man's apartment and robbing him.
Westport police are searching for 85-year-old man who has been missing since 9:30 Wednesday morning.
Connecticut police say they have arrested a Massachusetts couple who authorities believed might harm themselves and their special needs son.
Todd Ruggere, a 39-year-old married father of one, is on a mission to raise as much money as he can to help kids with cancer.
With Christmas less than a month away, many people throughout Connecticut are heading out to area farms this week to find a holiday tree for their home.
Recordings released Wednesday of 911 calls from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting show town dispatchers urged panicked callers to take cover, mobilized help and asked about the welfare of the children as the boom of gunfire could …
Yesterday's gun scare at the University of New Haven was the latest in a string of local campus lockdowns. And today the 911 calls from the tragic Sandy Hook shooting were released. Those are two topics that many of you are calling in …
A Willimantic couple is sitting behind bars after police say they repeatedly sexually assaulted a young girl. Wednesday that couple faced a judge.
Pet sellers in Connecticut say it will put them out of business. Animal rights activists say it's the only way to control where puppies, kittens and rabbits come from.