SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — A judge set a tentative trial date next year for a neighborhood watch volunteer charged with fatally shooting Trayvon Martin.
In her first hearing since taking over the case, Judge Debra S. Nelson said June 10 would be the start of George Zimmerman's trial, though the date could change as both sides get prepared for what is expected to be a three-week trial.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the February shooting of the unarmed 17-year-old Martin. Zimmerman claims he was attacked and the shooting was self-defense.
Zimmerman's defense team tweeted after the hearing that they will likely ask for a "stand your ground" hearing in April or May. Under Florida law, Zimmerman can request the hearing and argue his self-defense case before the trial. If the judge were to side with Zimmerman, the murder charge would be dismissed and there would be no trial.
Nelson took over the case in August after an appeals' court said Judge Kenneth Lester should be removed for making disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character. Lester also advocated for additional charges against Zimmerman during a bond hearing, saying he lied to the judge about how much money he had.
Zimmerman, who is free on bail, was not at the hearing Wednesday. His attorneys will be back in court Friday to argue several motions.
They have said in court documents that prosecutors aren't turning information over in a timely manner and they are not getting all of the evidence they have asked for.
"I'm hoping Friday's hearing will give us a good idea of how quickly we're gonna get discovery," O'Mara said after hearing.
He said Friday's hearing could be central to the timetable for everything going forward.
Attorneys for more than a dozen media organizations, including The Associated Press, will also be there to fight efforts by the prosecutor to seal defense subpoenas and other case records.
Also, a hearing for Zimmerman's wife was delayed until December. Shellie Zimmerman was charged with perjury after prosecutors said she misled the court about how much her husband and she had for his bail.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MONROE, Conn. (AP) — A 72-year-old homeowner has died following a house fire that injured five others, including four firefighters.
GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) — A multi-vehicle crash closed part of Interstate 95 in southwestern Connecticut for about two hours as road conditions turned slippery with the arrival of a wintry storm.
Lawmakers in Connecticut and New York are calling on the Federal Railroad Administration to take immediate action to try and prevent another deadly train crash like the one that happened last weekend in New York City.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.
Manchester police are investigating what lead one man to allegedly kill three women and then take his own life.
The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
A student accused of setting off a lockdown and massive police response at Central Connecticut State University by wearing a ninja-like costume on campus is set to face a judge for the first time.
Newtown police officers rescued two people from a house fire, early Sunday.
Enfield resident Harold Slater was just 20-years-old the day he witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Two men were arrested after breaking into a home then driving at officers during a pursuit in Waterbury on Saturday night.