NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- Unionized bus drivers and their company are talking, but the threat of a strike still exists in New Haven.
Drivers briefly walked the picket line last week, creating some disruptions. The two sides sat down together Monday.
Except for a few rolling out of the bus yard, most school buses are staying put as negotiations continue between the union representing New Haven school bus drivers and the bus company First Student Transportation.
News 8 discovered the full yard on Middletown Avenue. That's because schools are closed for Rosh Hashanah, not because drivers are on strike, at least not yet.
"I hope they work it out and work it out quick," said Monica Harrell, parent.
Last week drivers rallied to remind folks they are still working without a new contract. It expired June 30th. They give First Student low grades on pay and safety.
The rally worried Harrell who drove her kids to school out of fear of a strike.
"Well I like to make sure they're going to get home," said Harrell.
A spokesperson for First Student tells News 8 talks with the union are going on right now and could continue through Tuesday. Whatever happens with those talks could determine what happens there Wednesday morning.
News 8 listened to parents who hope the buses will roll without interruption.
"If the bus drivers go on strike the parents will have to drive the kids to school and I'm sure some of them don't have cars," said Jessica Walker, parent. "It's going to be inconvenient. They'll have to walk. It's getting cold, what if it's raining?"
"It would affect our schedules on a daily basis," said Harrell. "Getting our children to school prior to going to work. So it would definitely inconvenience us."
One more thing, drivers have voted to strike if an agreement is not reached.
A Naugatuck dad was arrested after his two small children were found outside in the cold shivering Tuesday.
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Despite a year of setbacks, the parents of children lost in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre insist they won't lose the fight to reduce gun violence.
Bristol officials say they are undeterred in enforcing property code banning blight after an out-of-town landlord was arrested on charges of threatening to blow up City Hall in a dispute over grass that was not mowed.
A silver alert has been issued for a missing teenage girl from New Haven.
Lawrence + Memorial Hospital has postponed its annual meeting due to a labor dispute with nurses and technicians.
A Stamford judge has approved a request by the ex-wife of a former Bush administration lawyer finding him culpable for beating injuries she accuses him of inflicting on her.
A former employee has testified in a lawsuit against Greenwich Hospital that she was pressured to resign after she discovered contaminated blood vials.
I-395 is reopen in Putnam following a multi-vehicle accident this morning.
For the third time in as many years, Metro-North commuters are bracing for a five percent fare increase.
Fourteen playgrounds and counting: the Sandy Hook Ground Project is more than half way to their goal to pay tribute to each of the 26 victims of the Newtown shooting.