NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A former coach accusing a youth lacrosse league of discriminating against girls by providing them with fewer resources than boys is clashing with the league over whether a federal law mandating equal opportunities for men and women in athletics applies to the case.
Claudia Harris sued in Stamford Superior Court in December, saying the New Canaan Lacrosse Association violated Title IX by providing boys with more money, equipment and experienced referees and a lower ratio of coaches to players.
The league says the lawsuit has no merit and Title IX doesn't apply because it doesn't receive federal financial assistance.
Harris argues in a legal brief that Title IX applies to not-for-profit organizations, such as the league, because they receive federal financial subsidies in the form of tax exemptions and tax deductible donations.
Robert D. Noonan, attorney for the league, said he's confident the court will reject the claim that Title IX applies to the case.
Both sides cite Supreme Court cases to back up their arguments.
Title IX lawsuits typically arise with college and secondary school sports. Experts say the lawsuit is unusual because it targets a youth league not affiliated with a school.
Harris, who says she was dismissed as a coach and board member in late 2010 after raising gender and safety issues, argues that the law isn't limited to high school and college programs.
"The only limiting factor is whether an organization receives federal financial assistance," the lawsuit states. "Civil rights legislation has always taken a slow but certain path to a wider and wider application. The time is now to apply Title IX to youth sports."
The league denies it discriminates against girls and has said Harris was involved in escalating personal conflicts with assistant coaches. The league has said it goes to great lengths to provide equal access to boys and girls and to provide a safe environment.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Lawmakers in Connecticut and New York are calling on the Federal Railroad Administration to take immediate action to try and prevent another deadly train crash like the one that happened last weekend in New York City.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.
Manchester police are investigating what lead one man to allegedly kill three women and then take his own life.
The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
A student accused of setting off a lockdown and massive police response at Central Connecticut State University by wearing a ninja-like costume on campus is set to face a judge for the first time.
Newtown police officers rescued two people from a house fire, early Sunday.
Enfield resident Harold Slater was just 20-years-old the day he witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Two men were arrested after breaking into a home then driving at officers during a pursuit in Waterbury on Saturday night.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's governor is calling for houses of worship to mark the first anniversary of the Newtown school shooting by ringing their bells 26 times — once for each of the victims killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary …
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The two youngest members of the U.S. Senate are co-sponsoring a bill aimed at lowering college costs that includes withholding federal funds from schools that don't meet affordability and quality standards.