NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) -- A Rhode Island man who says he was beaten by police is suing for millions of dollars, and his lawsuit names New Haven Chief of Police Dean Esserman as a defendant.
A surveillance video from October 2009, resulted in Providence Police Detective Robert DeCarlo's conviction of felony assault a year and a half later in 2011.
"That's why I arrested him and turned that video over to the State's Attorney General," Chief Esserman said.
New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman has seen this video too many times to remember. He was Providence's top cop during this case.
According to the Providence Journal, Detective Robert DeCarlo, was accused of beating Louis Mendonca, a trespassing suspect, with a flashlight, while he was handcuffed. DeCarlo said Mendonca was struggling with police, and he didn't know Mendonca was handcuffed.
DeCarlo's conviction was overturned by a judge after prosecutorial misconduct.
Now, Mendonca has filed a Superior Court civil lawsuit against the city of Providence, it's police department and a dozen of it's officers, security officers, and Esserman.
News 8 asked Esserman, "So, this is not surprising?" and he said, "No, I would've been surprised probably if I hadn't been sued."
The Providence Journal says the $7 million lawsuit 's allegations include civil rights violations, assault and battery, and false imprisonment.
Esserman said this isn't the first time he's been sued and it likely won't be the last.
"A number of times?" News 8 asked.
"A number of times, but I respect the court systems and I leave it to them, but police chiefs are used to being sued as a responsible member of the police department. Rarely is there a suit against a police department where the chief isn't named," Esserman said.
Esserman became Chief in New Haven in November 2011.
GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) — A multi-vehicle crash has closed part of Interstate 95 in southwestern Connecticut as road conditions turned slippery with the arrival of a wintry storm.
Lawmakers in Connecticut and New York are calling on the Federal Railroad Administration to take immediate action to try and prevent another deadly train crash like the one that happened last weekend in New York City.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.
Manchester police are investigating what lead one man to allegedly kill three women and then take his own life.
The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
A student accused of setting off a lockdown and massive police response at Central Connecticut State University by wearing a ninja-like costume on campus is set to face a judge for the first time.
Newtown police officers rescued two people from a house fire, early Sunday.
Enfield resident Harold Slater was just 20-years-old the day he witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Two men were arrested after breaking into a home then driving at officers during a pursuit in Waterbury on Saturday night.
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut's governor is calling for houses of worship to mark the first anniversary of the Newtown school shooting by ringing their bells 26 times — once for each of the victims killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary …