PORT ST. LUCIE, Florida (WTNH)-- An elderly Florida man says he murdered his wife because she was sick and he couldn't afford her medication.
According to the TCPalm, 86-year-old William Hager shot and killed his wife of more than 50 years, 78-year-old Carolyn, while she slept around 7:30 a.m. Monday morning. He then drank some coffee and called his family members to tell them what had happened.
"He talked about her medical condition, that she was in poor health. She was always in a lot of pain," Sheriff's Chief Deputy Garry Wilson told the TCPalm.
Police were later called to Hager's home just before 1 p.m., where they found Carolyn in their bedroom, covered by a blanket with a gunshot wound to her head. Hager told police he would have called them earlier, but he contacted his daughter first.
"He was perfectly clear on that he was going to be arrested and go to jail, but again, he felt that this is where it had gotten to him and this was his course of action. He showed emotion and he was very clear that he was out of options in his mind," said Wilson.
TCPalm reports that Hager told detectives he contemplated shooting his wife for several days, and that while Carolyn talked about her desire to die, she never asked her husband to kill her.
Hager, who has no criminal history, was charged with first degree murder.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Traffic tough for travelers to start Memorial Day weekend
- Police: Man wearing ski mask brings BB gun into Family Dollar after being fired
- Suspect who punched man in head, stole his wallet sought
- Military members, families given opportunity to become American citizens
- Waterbury to begin new safety program for city pools
- Plainfield veteran receives gift of mobility
- Quinnipiac University holding 18th-annual 'Veterans Awareness Day'
Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) on Thursday released their forecast for this year's Atlantic hurricane season, predicting a near normal or above normal season.Read More »
- Bethany farm hit by tornado still picking up pieces
- Video: Lava bombs damage homes near Kilauea Volcano
- Showers move through Connecticut Tuesday afternoon
- A look at some of the recent tornadoes in Connecticut
- National Weather Service confirms macroburst hit Brookfield on Tuesday
- Photos: Tuesday storm takes down trees, knocks out power across Connecticut
- Tuesday storms impact evening commute, cause power outages
It was a lot of stop and go, with the emphasis on stop, on Interstate 95 in...Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store...Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his...Read More »
On this holiday weekend when those who died serving our country are...Read More »
There's a big change coming this summer and you'd better know about it before...Read More »
Check out the highlights.Read More »
A former Family Dollar worker is accused of bringing a B-B gun to the store shortly after he was fired.Read More »
Police in Hamden are looking for the suspect who attacked a man and stole his wallet.Read More »