HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -- Many shoreline residents are still waiting for the help promised by the federal government in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy.
It took a long time for the Congress to pass that $50 billion dollar aid package. Now there's word that decisions on aid for homeowners along the shoreline should be made by early next month.
With the longest shoreline of any Connecticut community, Milford was especially hard hit by Superstorm Sandy back in October of last year.
Two thousand structures were damaged there; 250 sustained so much damage they must be elevated. Another 450 came close to that level of damage.
In many cases that reconstruction has not begun because people don't have the resources and insurance isn't enough.
Many of the damaged homes are not summer places, they are year-round retirement homes. And for many it means borrowing and dipping deep into savings, while waiting for some of the promised help from the Obama Administration.
"We applying for SBA loan and we were denied it...now I'm hoping that I can get some money from the HUD money," said Susana Li, of Milford.
Monday, the Secretary of the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development went there to tout a $72 million grant to the state for Sandy aid.
Thirty million of that will be earmarked specifically for homeowners, and it will not be loans, it will be for grants from the state and federal government for rebuilding.
Twenty-six million more will help rebuild damaged low and moderate income housing, four million for damaged businesses, and six million to help shoreline towns rebuild infrastructure and public buildings.
"We will begin taking applications no later than September 1st...is our goal...to begin the process of deciding specifically how those funds will be dispersed," said Governor Dannel Malloy.
The state has set up one website for finding all of the aid that's available from both state and federal sources, including this latest round of grants.
Route 196 is closed in East Hampton because of a multi-vehicle accident.
Officials at the University of Connecticut have begun work on a master plan to reshape the infrastructure at the school.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman are directing U.S. and Connecticut flags to fly at half-staff on Saturday in honor of the 20 children and six adults who were killed a year ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
Up to a foot of snow is expected to drop on the state during this weekend's storm.
A snow and ice storm headed for the Northeast is expected to slow weekend travel and has utilities and airports on alert.
Farmington police say an officer shot and killed a man while responding to a fight between a father and his adult son.
As the snow heads our way for the weekend, we're dealing with some freezing temperatures out there. News 8 got advice from some professionals on how to keep you safe.
Police have identified a man who was shot in the head in New Haven Thursday, and was originally misidentified because of a fake ID in his possession.
The treasurer of the Milford Rotary Club has been arrested on larceny charges on accusations he embezzled more than $200,000 from the Milford Rotary and two other groups.
The state Democratic Party is returning a $10,000 contribution from the chief executive of Comcast-Spectacor and owner of the Philadelphia Flyers, saying it has learned he could be a state contractor.