(ABC News) - It's the new "the dress": A four-second audio clip has triggered a heated debate on the internet.
In the viral clip, a robotic voice says a single word that has divided the online community, as some people swear they hear "yanny" while others can only hear "laurel."
Moreover, some people have added to the confusion by somehow saying they can hear both.
Related Content: #TheDress's color draws debate on social media
Most people trace the origins of the audio clip, which picked up a lot of steam on Twitter this afternoon, following a Reddit post from over the weekend by user RolandCamry. The redditer did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment Tuesday afternoon.
Organizations including the National Public Radio have weighed in on the debate, saying on Twitter, whichever team you are on, "We're just happy you're listening to audio on the internet."
The clip comes a few years after a black-and-blue or white-and-gold dress divided friendships online.
Many have turned to social media to voice their distress, opinions and madness at the debate that is tearing apart the internet.
Copyright 2018 Cable News Network/Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Prison guard gets probation for steroid sales
- Police: 5 women ganged up to assault, rob pedestrian
- PD: 2 arrested in Willimantic bank robbery
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on Bolton crash
- Tycoon's son who wrote gory novel guilty in bloody slaying
- CSCU meeting to be held to discuss consolidation plan
- Face scans for international travelers at Florida airport
Heavy downpours lead to flooded roads and fender benders across the Stateline.Read More »
- Scattered thunderstorms in some parts of the state overnight
- CRAZY VIDEO: Park-goers run for cover as windstorm sweeps up porta potties
- How to collect rain water and save money
- Gypsy moths expected to die off soon
- Storm Team 8 Co-Chief Meteorologist Joe Furey visits young and old viewers
- Storm Team 8 Senior Meteorologist Fred Campagna to carry Special Olympics torch
- FEMA agrees to assist with preliminary damage assessment from CT tornadoes, storm
Police in Connecticut have arrested five women in connection with the assault...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Board of Regents for the Connecticut State College and University system...Read More »