(WTNH) -- Governor Malloy is directing all non-essential first and second-shift state employees to not report to work on Thursday.
The term "essential employee", as defined by the "Essential Services Act of 2013", is an, "employee that performs work involving the safety of human life or the protection of property."
Typically, these workers include police and emergency management personnel, staff working in prisons, hospitals and residential services as well as highway and road crews responsible for clearing state roads and maintaining mandatory operations.
If you're not sure whether you are an essential employee, check with your employer's human resource department.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 2 Dallas police officers shot and critically wounded, authorities say
- Greenwich resident announced as Blumenthal's guest to Macron's address to Congress
- Keeping your kids safe from cyber-bullies
- North Korea to send special noodle making machine (and chef) to DMZ for summit
- Construction workers rescued safely from collapsed scaffolding near Miami
- Angry residents say no to Woodbridge proposal for hundreds of rental apartments
- Officials encourage kids to exercise at least 3 days per week
Expect dry skies after midnight, with some clearing. Get the latest forecast from Storm Team 8.Read More »
- Storm Team 8's Sam Kantrow visits Crosby High School
- Allergy season returns
- The 2018 hurricane season could be as busy as the 2017 season
- Good news about tick season
- Sunshine and clouds for Wednesday
- Outdoor sports on hold for now
- How rare is April snow?
State auditors say the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community...Read More »
'My Boy Jack' is on the track to winning the Kentucky Derby.Read More »
There's big trouble brewing in the small town of Woodbridge over a...Read More »
The Girl Scouts of Connecticut received a high honor on Tuesday.Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Fire crews are responding to a report of a structure fire in East Windsor...Read More »
Edsall says when the season starts in late August, don't be surprised who's on the field.Read More »
The former Bulldogs linebacker says he's focused on making a 53-man roster at the end of the summer. He was key in Yale's Ivy League championship run.Read More »
The Dominican native has played in 14 games. He's racked up 18 hits-- and 12 of those have gone for extra base hits.Read More »