(WTNH) - For thousands of years, women have relied on ingredients found in their kitchens or gardens to beautify themselves.
Even now during the 21st century, many women still implement these ancient rituals in their anti-aging, and beauty routines .
Many of these aren't just old wives tales. Some of these have actually been tested by science and proven to work.
1) Coconut Oil: Give yourself a hair massage with coconut oil, once a week and watch your hair begin to look it's healthiest.
2)Turmeric: One of the most well-known and frequently used items you would come across in any Indian kitchen, but it's not just used for cooking. In India this is widely used on the skin.
- Turmeric and lemon juice make an effective skin exfoliator. You can also mix Turmeric and honey to create a mask for brightening skin.
3) Acai Berry: Brazilian women are known for their beauty, and have long known about the benefits of Acai Berry, but we're just figuring out. It contains Antioxidants that help combat premature aging, with 10 times more antioxidants than red grapes. It's common knowledge among Brazilian's that fatty acids from nuts and berries are the key to healthy looking skin and shiny hair.
- The fruit is widely eaten in Brazil. In the states, you can buy this in powdered form or in a supplement. Unfortunately the berry itself isn't available outside of Brazil, because once picked, after 24 hours it loses all it's effectiveness.
4) Chinese Beauty Secret-White Tea: The Chinese believe that beauty starts from within.They have been drinking white tea for centuries to combat aging, and studies show white tea has more antioxidant properties than green tea.
- Drink two cups of green tea a day or to create a white tea skin toner, boil the tea, let it cool down, and then spritz it on your skin to use as an anti-aging toner
5) Seaweed: Women in Japan swear by the power of seaweed for gorgeous hair, skin and nails. Seaweed is also a rich source of iodine, iron, zinc, selenium and copper.
- Many Japanese women boil the seaweed for 30 minutes and use the left over water to rinse their hair out to create shine and strength.
6)Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in polyphenol, an antioxidant, which slows the process of skin wrinkling. Women in Italy swear by Olive Oil for not only cooking, but as a beauty aid.
- It is recommended that you warm up the oil and give yourself a scalp massage, and for a moisturizing face mask, mix olive oil with honey.
A school and the town of Pomfret are helping congregants of a church heavily damaged by fire.
A former colleague of a Yale University professor who died in police custody is organizing a protest, calling it a "political death."
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — The president of Poland is urging Connecticut officials to not impose the death penalty on a former Trumbull man convicted of murder in the deaths of a Bridgeport woman, her 9-year-old daughter and a Milford man.
Freezing drizzle and below freezing temperatures are making for a slow and dangerous commute this morning.
A multi-vehicle crash closed part of Interstate 95 in southwestern Connecticut for about two hours as road conditions turned slippery with the arrival of a wintry storm.
I-91 Northbound is closed in Cromwell because of a tractor trailer accident.
A New York man has been charged with attempted assault against two Waterbury police officers who tried to stop him after a home invasion and robbery.
A 72-year-old homeowner has died following a house fire that injured five others, including four firefighters.
Lawmakers in Connecticut and New York are calling on the Federal Railroad Administration to take immediate action to try and prevent another deadly train crash like the one that happened last weekend in New York City.
Members of the Machinists union who work at jet-engine maker Pratt & Whitney have approved a new three-year contract.