BRANFORD, Conn. (WTNH) - Some students in Branford are becoming the town's biggest travel agents!
3rd graders at Mary R. Tisko Elementary School are having their history lessons come alive, getting real world experience of Branford and Stony Creek's vibrant history!
"Stony Creek was a booming place," stated Anthony DaRos.
The kids put down the books and took tours of places like the Stony Creek Museum.
What's Right With Schools: Robotics among the most popular programs at Bristol's North East Middle School
From farming, to fishermen, to the railroads and quarries full of coveted pink granite, real artifacts linked students to the past.
"It's a historic place and I think that's one of the reasons why museums such as this are so important," DaRos added.
The students did not just study, they experienced a boat ride on the Sea Myst around the famous Thimble Islands.
"They're experiencing their town. They're experiencing the history and they can see where it all started," 3rd grade teacher Matt Kaminski said.
- PD: Cheshire crash remains under investigation, motorcyclist suffers serious injuries
- Music helps Coginchaug students find their way
- Christmas movie being filmed in Essex
- Summer food program being offered in New Haven
- 'Take a Vet Fishing' event held in Branford
- Man pulled from Sylvan Lake in Watertown
- Seymour man killed in I-91 crash in Massachusetts
Heavy downpours lead to flooded roads and fender benders across the Stateline.Read More »
- Scattered thunderstorms in some parts of the state overnight
- CRAZY VIDEO: Park-goers run for cover as windstorm sweeps up porta potties
- How to collect rain water and save money
- Gypsy moths expected to die off soon
- Storm Team 8 Co-Chief Meteorologist Joe Furey visits young and old viewers
- Storm Team 8 Senior Meteorologist Fred Campagna to carry Special Olympics torch
- FEMA agrees to assist with preliminary damage assessment from CT tornadoes, storm
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into claims of excessive force...Read More »
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A motorcyclist suffered serious injuries after a crash with a truck in...Read More »
Check out the highlights from TPC River Highlands in Cromwell.Read More »
The FBI is looking into claims of excessive force and civil rights violations by judicial marshals working at the lockup inside the New Haven County Courthouse.Read More »