NEW LONDON, Conn. (WTNH) - In New London, the motto is "trailblazing education."
New London is the state's only full magnet district.
Parents and students can choose themes like STEM - science, technology, engineering, mathematics, language and culture.
Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School is project-based learning. For one project, students worked on an opera, where kids wrote, produced, acted, sang and did everything in between!
Related Content: What's Right With Schools: Reading Olympics
Jennifer Truken's daughter was far from thriving in the traditional education setting. "She was not engaged at all," she said. "I knew she was a theater kid. I knew she liked theater and music and band and when I heard about the arts program it really got my interest."
They bus in from Plainfield, about 40 minutes away from New London.
"My daughters get up at about five in the morning to get a shuttle bus to come here," Truken said.
Related Content: DeLauro congratulates local students for completing reading program
It's a significant sacrifice, but one that's worth it for her family.
"Test scores are better, grades are better, and she cares," she explained.
Watch the video above for more.
- Christmas movie being filmed in Essex
- Summer food program being offered in New Haven
- 'Take a Vet Fishing' event held in Branford
- Emergency personnel responding to potential water rescue in Watertown
- Seymour man killed in I-91 crash in Massachusetts
- New Haven Police Department investigating officers accused of falsifying candidate information
- German study looks to show coffee can help heart
Heavy downpours lead to flooded roads and fender benders across the Stateline.Read More »
- Scattered thunderstorms in some parts of the state overnight
- CRAZY VIDEO: Park-goers run for cover as windstorm sweeps up porta potties
- How to collect rain water and save money
- Gypsy moths expected to die off soon
- Storm Team 8 Co-Chief Meteorologist Joe Furey visits young and old viewers
- Storm Team 8 Senior Meteorologist Fred Campagna to carry Special Olympics torch
- FEMA agrees to assist with preliminary damage assessment from CT tornadoes, storm
Police and firefighters are responding to Sylvan Lake for a potential water...Read More »
The Travelers Championship offers all sorts of perks for active military and veterans.Read More »