STORRS, Conn. (WTNH) - University of Connecticut freshman Andre Drummond announced that he will make himself available for the 2012 NBA Draft.
That means he will forego his final three seasons of college eligibility.
"My family and I feel that this is the right time for me to take the next step in my basketball career," Drummond said. "It has always been a goal of mine to compete against the world's best players and that is one of the big factors for me in making this decision.
The 6'10" center from Middletown is expected to be a top five pick in the draft, which takes place on June 28 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
"Andre is a developing player with unlimited potential and his projected position in the draft is as good as almost any player I've ever had," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "Very few players get such a tremendous opportunity, and he's got to take advantage of it."
Drummond, 18, did not decide to attend college until just before the first semester began, paid his own way, and therefore has been classified as a walk-on with the Huskies. He made quite an impact, however, playing in all 34 games, the last 30 as a starter, and averaging 28.4 minutes a contest.
Drummond averaged 10.0 points per game, while leading the team in rebounding at 7.6 per game, field goal percentage at .538, and blocked shots with 92. His 2.7 blocks per game ranked third in the BIG EAST Conference and 14th in the country. Drummond, who was selected to the BIG EAST All-Rookie Team, had 10 double-doubles during the season, a record for a UConn freshman under Calhoun.
"I really appreciate the time and effort that Coach Calhoun and the whole coaching staff at UConn put in to help me improve my game," Drummond said. "I also want to thank our tremendous Husky fans and my teammates. I have developed strong relationships at UConn that will be part of my life forever."
Sophomore Jeremy Lamb, declared his availability for the NBA Draft earlier this week.
"Andre came here because he wanted to play for the state school and he showed a great deal of loyalty to our program and to the state itself," Calhoun said. "Andre and his family have been great people to deal with. Naturally, we're sad to see him go, but we wish him nothing but great successes in the future."
Nearly one year since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, Governor Dannel Malloy said that the recent release of the 9-1-1 recordings has likely made things more difficult for the families.
A Connecticut man's portrait of Nelson Mandela hangs at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Disturbing images from two middle school students on social media has sparked an investigation by police in Redding.
As the anniversary of the Sandy Hook tragedy approaches, the Sandy Ground project is nearing its goal of building one new playground for each of the 26 victims.
The brand new head of the FBI was in Connecticut on Friday. James Comey visited the FBI branch in New Haven to discuss some of his biggest concerns.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — The Discovery Museum and Planetarium in Bridgeport has sold a massive bronze statue for $300,000 to finance a major upgrade to its science education program for schoolchildren.
The Federal Railroad Administration has mandated that all Metro-North lines use new safeguards to control train speed, in order to alert engineers that a train is entering a dangerous section of track.
Lawrence and Memorial Hospital in New London has taken away the medical benefits of anyone on strike, News 8 has learned.
Gov. Dannel Malloy says the recent release of the 911 recordings from the Newtown school shooting has likely made things more difficult for the families, but he also says he expected they'd be released all along. He just wishes it had …
A new commercial from a group pushing for more gun legislation is using imagery that is reminiscent of the Newtown School shooting.