(WTNH) -- Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch ordered evacuations for low-lying areas of Connecticut's largest city today.
"We feel we are ready for this," the mayor said on Good Morning Connecticut.
The evacuation order goes into effect at noon. Shelters have been set up at three schools to help residents who need a place to stay.
The streets affected by the mandatory evacuation include:
- Southern Broad Street- East to the Harbor
- Seaside Village
- Marina Village
- Bostwick Avenue at Osbourne to the south including, Morris and Anthony Streets
- Lower areas of Ferris Street, Arthur Street, Yacht Street, Brewster Street
- Black Rock Yacht Club Area, southeast of Grovers Avenue
- West of Dewey Street – between Edgewood and Salt Street
- South Avenue
- Atlantic Street near Broad & Main
- Whitney Street
- South of Wordin Avenue – Washburn Street, and Howard Avenue south of Wordin Avenue
- Cottage Place
- Henry Street
- Ridge Avenue
- Gregory Street- South Lower end of Iranistan Avenue to Columbia Street
- Walnut Street
- Atlantic Street Near Iranistan Avenue
- Anchorage Avenue
- Pine Street
- Newfield Avenue – Streets to the southeast of Newfield including Jefferson, Trowel, Adams, and DeForest DeKalb and Seaview Avenues
The shelters are set up at Jettie Tisdale School on Hollister Avenue, Geraldine Johnson School on Lexington Avenue, and Cesar Batalla School on Howard Avenue.
Updates are available on the town's website, and on Twitter
A lone note, hand written, faded on the scarred tree is all that is left of the accident site where Jane Modlesky died after crashing her car in Glastonbury.
When it comes to drinking and driving, the two just don't mix. Nationwide, drunk driving continues to be a problem.
A Connecticut man's portrait of Nelson Mandela hangs at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
Disturbing images from two middle school students on social media has sparked an investigation by police in Redding.
As the anniversary of the Sandy Hook tragedy approaches, the Sandy Ground project is nearing its goal of building one new playground for each of the 26 victims.
The brand new head of the FBI was in Connecticut on Friday. James Comey visited the FBI branch in New Haven to discuss some of his biggest concerns.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — The Discovery Museum and Planetarium in Bridgeport has sold a massive bronze statue for $300,000 to finance a major upgrade to its science education program for schoolchildren.
The Federal Railroad Administration has mandated that all Metro-North lines use new safeguards to control train speed, in order to alert engineers that a train is entering a dangerous section of track.
Lawrence and Memorial Hospital in New London has taken away the medical benefits of anyone on strike, News 8 has learned.
Gov. Dannel Malloy says the recent release of the 911 recordings from the Newtown school shooting has likely made things more difficult for the families, but he also says he expected they'd be released all along. He just wishes it had …