‘This is only day one, it’s only going to get better’: Students return to in-person classes in Hamden amid pandemic

Back To School

HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Tuesday was the first day of the new school year in Hamden. The Board of Education had pushed the start of school back so they could work out some logistical issues amid the COVID-19 pandemic. But despite the delay, students and staff were thrilled to be back. 

“I feel really well. Going back to school for the first time this year feels just amazing,” said seventh-grader Justin Elisea, fresh off his first day at Hamden Middle School.

“I get to be with my friends, I get to learn. A bunch more reasons. I get to socialize again instead of being isolated by myself,” said Justin.

“I knew he’d be safe,” Justin’s older brother, Juan, said. “I explained it to him, to keep to himself, always have his hand sanitizer, wash his hands.”

Hamden had pushed back the start of school to deal with staffing issues. Separately, two Adult Education teachers had tested positive for the virus last month. 

RELATED: Hamden Public Schools begin delayed school year

Hamden Middle School Principal Michelle Coogan says students took the new social distancing measures and hybrid learning model in stride.

“They came in really excited, a little curious about what school would look like,” she said.

“You have stuff to do, you have people to talk to, you have new stuff to learn,” said eighth-grader Elgin Johnson outside school pickup, where everything was socially distanced and carefully coordinated.

“They’re very professional, they’re doing everything right,” said his grandfather, Henry.

“This is day one. It’s only going to get better,” said Coogan.

Officials say if any positive COVID cases arise within the school community, they will be treated according to CDC guidelines and on a case-by-case basis.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

New Haven

23% of students are not fully engaging in online learning, New Haven Public Schools says

News /

'She devoted her life to justice': Former student of Ruth Bader Ginsburg reflects on having her as a mentor

News /

Artist to bring BLM mural to life in New Haven

News /

5th Congressional District race heats up with riot rhetoric

News /

Economic help for Meriden during pandemic: city celebrates grand opening

News /

Milford Public Schools announce positive case of COVID-19 at Jonathan Law High School

News /
More New Haven

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss