NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Fellowship Place, a multi-purpose fellowship center that helps people in the Greater New Haven Area who suffer from mental illness, is hosting an Expressive Arts Festival on May 4, 5:00-7:30pm at 23 Temple Street in New Haven.
The event is supported by the City of New Haven Mayor’s Community Arts Grants Program, and will showcase the creative talents of the agency’s clients. Painting has helped clients lower their levels of stress while also giving them a place to go for support.
The event will have an art exhibit and sale, live performance by Fellowship Place’s seven-piece band, ‘Music in the Moment,” live Poetry readings by Fellowship Place’s writers group, as well as refreshments and healthy snacks presented by Fellowship Place’s Food Service Training Interns.More Information
Fellowship Place seeks to help adults with mental illness lead more meaningful, fulfilling and healthy lives by offering resources, education, and opportunity. The agency serves over 650 adults on a campus in downtown New Haven open 365 days a year. The agency provides a wide range of services, including supportive counseling and case management, supported housing, job training and career development services, social & physical recreation programs, expressive arts therapy, and skill building groups. Fellowship Place provides a vital one-stop shop of services and support for people with mental illness:
- Offers a sanctuary where they may feel a sense of belonging
- Provides linkages to community services
- Provides opportunities for daily structure, skill building, social connections, and activities that promote a healthy and productive lifestyle
- Challenges and helps them work toward becoming respectful community members with roles as tenant, employee, or volunteer
- Provides for their basic needs, such as shelter, food & clothing
- Provides access to affordable housing
- Enables them to become economically self-sufficient through the development of job readiness skills, employment preparedness, education training & literacy improvement
Head to http://fellowshipplace.org/expressive-arts-festival-may-4-2016/ for more information.