New Haven, Conn. (WTNH) – If your child gets hurt or injured because of someone else’s negligence, you might be asking yourself, How do I file a personal injury claim, and can I do it on behalf of my child?

To discuss the answers to these questions, CT Style Host Natasha Lubczenko met with Attorney Alex Mario and Attorney Jessica Ayala from the Carter Mario Law Firm.

Attorney Mario says that many of the steps you would take are similar to what an adult would do, in the case of an injury or accident. Make sure the child is safe, and then be sure to document the location and injuries by taking lots of pictures. Also, since there are not really “Pediatric” Personal Injury Lawyers, Attorneys Mario and Ayala recommend that you start by seeking the help of a Personal Injury Lawyer.

Watch this interview, and learn about what’s involved as Attorney Alex Mario and Attorney Jessica Ayala answer the following questions:

  • What is the difference between a child’s personal injury claim and an adult’s?
  • Can a parent claim compensation on behalf of their child?
  • Does this apply to all children, or does the child have to be considered a minor?
  • Can the parent/guardian decide whether to resolve the case or not?
  • If someone’s child does get hurt, are there any steps they should take to make a better case for themselves, either at the scene or maybe immediately after?
  • In the case of a child getting injured by an accident or another person’s negligence, it can be a very emotional situation. Do you think it’s even more important to get a lawyer involved, for both the parents and the child?
  • What is critical in order to provide the injured child with the best opportunity to be

To learn more, be sure to visit