NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – We continue to raise awareness for Operation Save A Life with Everyday heroes.
Firefighter Brian Gauthier from the Suffield Fire Department shows us how to make pan seared BBQ salmon with sweet oven roasted Brussels sprouts.
- 1/2 pound Boneless skinless Salmon Fillet
- 2 Tablespoons for Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of BBQ Sauce
- 1/8 of a Cup of Jalapeno Crisps
- 2 pound Bag of Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Cup of Diced Sweet Onion
- 1 Cup of Diced Honey Crisp Apple (if in Season)
- ¼ Cup of Candied Walnuts
- ¼ Cup of Craisins
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Salt or to Taste
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- Put the 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a non-stick frying pan and set it to Medium to High heat.
- Once heated or close to it, place the Salmon Fillet carefully into the pan and watch out for splashing the hot oil.
- Sear the bottom of the salmon by frying for approx. 4 min. I like to place a piece of tinfoil over the pan to avoid a mess with the oil.
- Once the bottom has crisped up a bit and you can visually see the salmon cooked about half way up, slightly drop the temperature and flip the salmon carefully.
- If it is cooked, it should come cleanly off the pan without sticking. Replace the tin foil and cook approx. 4 more minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the pan with a spatula and place it on a plate with a paper towel to soak up and excess oil.
- Let it sit for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the paper towel.
- Brush on your BBQ sauce and sprinkle the jalapeno crisps over the top.
- This is now ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400* F, Slice Brussels sprouts in half and microwave for approximately 4 min to soften.
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients together except for the honey and candied walnuts.
- Once mixed, spread out evenly in a “9×13” baking dish.
- Drizzle Honey over the sprouts.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the loose Brussels sprout leaves have begun to brown.
- Finish by sprinkling the candied walnuts over the top.