We’re crafting a beautfiul Italian dessert with Chef Kevin Sihabout from Ballo Italian Kitchen & Bar at Mohegan Sun.
Chef Sihabout shows us to make lemon olive oil cake with lemon custard.
Ingredients for Lemon Olive Oil Cake
All Purpose Flour – 210 g (1 & 2/3 cup)
Cake Flour – 80 g (2/3 cup)
Granulated Sugar – 115 g (just under 1 cup)
Baking Powder – 1 & ½ teaspoon
Kosher Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
Whole Eggs – 3 each
Whole Milk – 6 fl. oz. (3/4 cup)
Olive Oil – 8 fl. oz. (1 cup)
Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
Zest of 2 whole lemons
Directions for Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sift and mix all dry ingredients, set aside.
- Whisk eggs until beaten. Slowly incorporate milk, the olive oil. (Mixture should be completely emulsified with a foam floating on top.)
- Zest two lemons completely, don’t press too hard. It’s more about the oils than the actual zested skin.
- Squeeze juice from one lemon completely, making sure not to let any seeds in! (Don’t forget to roll it first)
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until smooth.
- Coat bread loaf pan (or any similar sized pan) with olive oil and sprinkle granulated sugar to coat the inside. This will help make our crust!
- Pour mixture into bread pan, sprinkle granulated sugar over the top (again, for our crust).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Lemon Custard
Egg Yolks – 12 each
Heavy Cream – 4 fl. oz.
Granulated Sugar – 100 g (3.5 oz.)
Villa Massa Lemoncello – 2 tablespoon
Boyajian Pure Lemon Oil – 1 teasppon
Lemon zest – 2 whole lemons
Directions for Lemon Custard
- Make a double boil with a sauce pot and a mixing bowl, make sure that the boiling water does not touch the bowl!
- Mix all ingredients together and whisk constantly, scraping the sides down with a rubber spatula.
- Cook 10-12 minutes until yolks are cooked and no longer runny. Think of the consistency of pudding.
- Pass through fine mesh sifter to remove lemon zest and store for service.