(WTNH)— Certified Nutritional Health and Life Coach, AADP and Personal Chef, Debbie Barbiero, shows us how to cook healthier by making Kale Almond Pesto and White Beans Pasta.
Barbiero is a Certified Nutritional Health and Life Coach and the author of 3 EBooks on Amazon and her first printed book which is for sale directly from her, DEB’S HEALTHY PLATE COOKBOOK Reclaim
Your Health Body, Mind and Spirit. The book is an open and honest discussion of life and health. She explains the importance of eating real food that grows from a plant not manufactured in a plant which is how her daughter and her reclaimed their health. They both battle auto-immune diseases.
The book is also loaded with healthier recipes the whole family will enjoy from breakfast to dessert.
For more details, go to www.metamorphosisbodymindspirit.com.
Kale Almond Pesto and White Beans Pasta Recipe:
• 1 bunch kale
• 8 oz. brown rice pasta (dry)
• ½ cup whole almonds toasted
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic (about 5 large cloves)
• ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese OR ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional for people with lactose
• A pinch Coral Sea salt
• Juice of 2 lemons, divided
• 2 Tbsp. grape seed oil
• 1 (19 oz. can white/cannelloni/great northern beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 tsp. grape seed oil
• ¼ tsp. paprika
1. Rinse kale thoroughly, pat dry. Cut lower stems from kale.
2. Steam kale over 2 quarts (64 oz.) water for 5 to 7 minutes until tender.
3. Transfer to a colander to drain. Do not discard water.
4. Add pasta to water on stove and return to a boil, stirring. When pasta is al dente.
5. Meanwhile place almonds in a food processor or blender and process until well chopped.
6. Add garlic, Pecorino Romano or Nutritional Yeast, a pinch of Coral Sea salt and juice of
7. Carefully squeeze water from steamed kale and remove stems. Discard stems. Pat dry leaves
with paper towel and chop roughly. Pat dry again, and add to food processor.
8. Process until all ingredients is finely minced.
9. While processing/mixing add 2 Tbsp. oil until a nice thick pesto is formed.
10. In a medium bowl, toss beans with juice of the other lemon and a pinch of Coral Sea salt.
11. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon grape seed oil over medium heat.
12. Add paprika and fry for about 1 minute.
13. Add kale-almond pesto and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds. If pesto seems too thick
you can add a little water to thin it.
14. Add pasta and beans, and toss gently until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.